586,546 active members*
3,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Rhino up and running and I need some help

Rhino up and running and I need some help

Ive got Rhino3d 3 up and running and made a few things but Im lost with the commands and what they actually do. The help isnt much help, pardon the punn as it only shows you how to use them and not actually what they do.

Any ideas?

good tutorial sites?

Cheers,
    Tom

What are you trying to do? I'd be more than willing to help out as much as I can.

Im trying to make some suspension parts. I have already made one wishbone, but decided to make another slightly more refined version.

So I follow the same procedure as last time only this time Rhino wont let me cap the object.

Here is the Rhino file. I cant use Surface>Planar Curve to fill in the top/bottom, or cap command, the only thing I can do it blend which I dont want. I remember my last wishbone design was easily created so why now am I running into problems?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use the profile you have and extrude it as a solid.

Gary

Tommy the thing I am learning about Rhino is that there are many different ways to achieve the desired results. Gary's suggestion is the quickest if you want a solid but I took your file, exploded it, the lofted the two sides. You can also draw a vertical line on the same plane as your sides, extrude them and then split or trim. I am sure there are several more ways to do it that I don't know or have not tried. The more I use this program the better I like it. I hope to someday write some scripts to make it work more like the cad package I use. On the other hand, by the time I get to the script wirtting level I probably won't need it anyway! I have attached, or at least tried, the file for you to look at.

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi Turmite,

What kind of commands would you like to script to " make it work more like the cad package I use."?

The reason I ask is because I have written over 80 scripts and about a dozen VB programs to make Rhino more of a mechanical CAD package. As long as you are not direct competion, I would be willing to share these.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

My main issue with Rhino is that it doesnt like handling curved solids.

For example I create a nice curvy solid, then I want to fillet all the edges...but rhino messes up the solid once the fillet is applied.

I know there are ways round this, and I did create that curvy filleted part but surely the fillet should work as well on this sort of object as it does on a cube.

Cheers,
    Tom

Hi Dan,

Do you mean compete with your business or with a cad package? My url is www.turnercustoms.com so you can see what I do. I am now in the process of going completely cnc and the ability to use Rhino more like a cad would enhance that big time. I use Bobcad v17 and for the most part it is fine for 2d and simple 3d but I would like to do everything in one package and I love Rhino.

Tommy many things I cannot help you with and fillets is one of them. If you have not gone to the Rhino website and checked their support system, do so. The have a newsgroup that is web-based that I lurk on. They also have online tutorials but I am on a dial-up and they are just too time consuming on the download. There are many 3d tutorial sites that have Rhino tuts on them.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Well Ive read that Rhino3d does have an issue with fillets and Im Ok with the program now as I can crate any shape I want to etc, I think its more about learning the process now of how to create complex objects.

As for 3d software I am now looking at others...I have got a copy of Formz Radiozity which Im evaluating.

Cheers,
    Tom

Hi Mike,

I meant compete with our business. It would be a conflict of interest to provide tools to help you take away our work. Obviously, after checking your site, that is not an issue. What commands would you like to see added to help your work flow?

Tom,

Filleting in Rhino is not that bad. The biggest issue people have is the lack of a variable fillet command. Of course, there are work-arounds, but hopefully in v4 we will see this implemented. V4 does have some pretty advanced "solids" commands that do maintain the integrity of the model. I have twisted, and bent some pretty crazy shapes, and still could apply fillets with no problems.

Anyway, back to v3...

There are ways to check, and fix a model to avoid fillet problems. For example, if you use the "ShowEdges" command you can identify open edges and fix them with the "JoinEdge" command before applying your fillets.

You should start participating on the Rhino newsgroup, as Turmite suggests. If you post your file, and give a brief description of your problem, you will have a solution within minutes.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)