586,596 active members*
3,104 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EdgeCAM vs. MasterCAM

I am currently an EdgeCAM user, but i am going to be using MasterCAM at new job. Are there many big differences with programming, and particularly writing post processors, between the two, or are they more or less the same thing in different packaging?

Any insight is appreciated.

Not the same at all. Nothing I could describe in 10 words or less. How much experience did you have with Edgecam? How well did it work for you?

Mastercam has a set of rules for doing things (Selecting things, Setting values, Creating geometry, Etc...). Once you understand the rules you'll find it's fairly consistent.

If your completely new to the Mastercam Environment, I would suggest this CD. It will get you pointed in the right direction.
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com/product/TFM-CDStartX

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I liked EdgeCAM very much. It is the first CAM system that I have used but it seems very good. I actually havent had all that much experience on it, only about 3 months worth, but Ive been working hard and Ive learned alot about the program. Ive now done some fairly nice programs with not much difficulty. Now I will be working with a company using mastercam. I'll see how I do.
    Thanks for the advice Mike.