586,655 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > EdgeCAM vs. MasterCAM

EdgeCAM vs. MasterCAM

I am currently an EdgeCAM user, but i am going to be using MasterCAM at new job. Are there many big differences with programming, and particularly writing post processors, between the two, or are they more or less the same thing in different packaging?

Any insight is appreciated.

I'm a bit rusty on mastercam now, but having used both that and edgecam I'd say it's a lot easier to pick up mastercam from scratch. The help files, in contrast to edgecam's obtuse efforts, is absoluetly first class. It's an extremely easy program to use and you'll pick it up no problem.

Posts are probably the opposite. Edgecam is excellent for creating posts and, while I'm sure it's improved, it's a bit labourious in mastercam.

Obviously, as they are both CAM progs, there is a bit of overlap but you're best bet is to treat mastercam as an entirely new program as there is significant differences in their respective approach. If I was you I'd, ahem, 'aquire' (cough, nudge) a copy of mastercam from the dark side of the internet and have a play with it at home.

You can get a demo disk and play with it at home. No need to break the law. I can get you one if you want.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Travers.com or other metal working web sites sell a "training book" for Mastercam X 2D with a demo copy of Mastercam X. You can't save files, engrave text or post programs with it, but you can practice basic 2D drawing functions and generate tool paths for the part though. I believe it runs less than $60 a copy.

WOW...I WISH EDGECAM HAD SOMETHING LIKE THAT!
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

?? Something like what.. A book for $60.

Because your standard ECam CD works in Student mode (no key required to learn at home).
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

No books though.

Although, I do know that 'dummies guides' is interested in doing some CAM books if they can find someone to write them. They offered me the edgecam one but a)way too much work and b) don't think I know enough.

Anyone keen out there might like to approach them though.

No, No books. No PDF's. They're not much on documentation. There is some stuff if you go to Help - Tutorials. There is this also...
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com/store/2...ategory/353295
    If a person is willing to make an investment in their education.

Mike Mattera

not

Not to disparage your CDs Mike, which I'm sure are excellent, but I prefer books. You can make notes in them, they don't scratch, and they are much easier to use than flipping between windows on a screen, they last longer and they're cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by jheal View Post
    I am currently an EdgeCAM user, but i am going to be using MasterCAM at new job. Are there many big differences with programming, and particularly writing post processors, between the two, or are they more or less the same thing in different packaging?

Any insight is appreciated.
    I am currently an Mastercam user and soon will be running Edgecam at a new job,
    the company actually is buying the edgecam package and I will be getting some training within a couple of month...

so far...edgecam does not impress me at all...
    if we look at the positive points that are visuals/grafics/memory conservation etc...
    I would say that others new-coming cad/cam/cae tendencies are much better in all terms.

I just feel a huge frustration because I have to learn edgecam at this point of my life...

Quote Originally Posted by casta-baga View Post
    I just feel a huge frustration because I have to learn edgecam at this point of my life...
    I went same way and only wish to escape from edgecam

About two years ago I went from a company that used Mastercam to one thats using Edgecam. Worst experience in my professionel life ever! I have some enhancements ideas for the folks at Pathtrace:

* More options for the autosave function. Either "Autosave every __ seconds" or "Autosave when cursor is moved __ inches".
    * Budle it with Autocad R12 for improved CAD functionality.
    * Option to play music when waiting for files to open.
    *Solid model chopper. Chops large (>5mb) solids into smaller pieces that Edgecam can handle.

...and so on.

Now I'm using CATIA and I'm a happy guy again. Yes it's ugly and built on french logic but it's also very powerful, fast, consistent and reliable. Nice to open up files at a rate of 1mb per second instead of 1mb per minute.

I think Edgecam will pass Mastercam in number of seats in the future as it will be sold in a package with Mach3, three Geckos, three steppers and a power supply for $999

[QUOTE=* Option to play music when waiting for files to open. )[/QUOTE]

I'm Laughing!