586,058 active members*
4,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: sign

sign

playing around 1 day and made up a sign for our property... cowboy side is 1/8 HR steel, the water wheel mill is 1/16th... worst part was finding some glue that would work, didnt want screws showing .... first glue i used was almost like that spray foam insulation.... and like a dummy i did the entire 1 side before trying it out, make a long story short i had to peel the metal off, resand the cedar, cut new peices ,( original cowboys were 1/6 also, but bent it all to *&(^^%$ getting them off.... end result turned out ok thought, see how long the second type of glue i used last... all the metal is from art disc, but we combined and modified it to our liking...

EDD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1301.jpg   100_1304.jpg  

very, very nice job there! I like the way you have combined different art pieces into the total package rather than just a blah single piece of canned art.

Thanks Bill

We just bought and set up our DT this spring, its been a real learning experience for my wife and I, neither of us knew anything about cnc / CAD / CAM... We have a better understanding of DT and Sheetcam programs now and are playing around with Corel 3x experimenting with different things. Using the art disc's we bought was great for learning how everything works, and we cut out alot of things from them, but for us the true enjoyment now is to be able mix and match, change, create a theme, or draw from scratch and cut out... It was frustrating at the begining, but the more we learnt by trial and error the easier it got, and with ease comes alot more enjoyment. As for now it is still a hobby, but we hope to turn it into a business some day, i like the idea of combining metal with wood, i want to try and use stone or glass in the future.

Regards
    EDD

thats a very nice sign keep up the good work.

Unhappy

Thanks Morvaman

How are you making out with your DT?? last a iheard you were just about to fire it up... Im back working in Mexico at the moment.... would rather be home cutting steel...:tired:

i'm going great with my dt, since i've started up i've cut over 200 sheets of ductwork with no problems.i use my machine every day and i am amazed how simple it was to set up and also easy to use.

Thats great to hear
    I've had few people ask me if i can cut ductwork for them, but i havent a clue about it, is there a program that i could get for cutting these peices. My table is 4x8 so im not even sure if its big enough... do you get much warping when cutting thin material, i started using a garden hose spraying water on the 1/16 as i was cutting, made a big difference.... i plan on converting my table to a water table in the future, it makes more sense for our climate and i like the fact that the warping is kept to a minimum... and if i let the peice sit and rust, i get some pretty cool natural patterns on it....

EDD

I'm using the design2fab software. you should not have any problems using the 4x8 table to do this I cut 4x8 sheets most of the time with my 5x10 table.
    I don't get any warp with the settings I use. I don't know about the water table for ductwork I would suggest a air handler for this.

Duct Work

What settings are you running on the table and what tip are you cutting with? Are you just doing outlines and the customer is bending it ? Or are you bending it also?
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ray View Post
    What settings are you running on the table and what tip are you cutting with? Are you just doing outlines and the customer is bending it ? Or are you bending it also?
    I'm cutting 24guage at 200ipm arc at 89 and 25amps set at the plasma. I'm using the finecut tips and I also bend the ducts.

They turned out great.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Rob