586,312 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

no laser fire at low power setting

I recently got an 80W rabbit laser HX1290SE.

I'm trying to score some material very lightly, so I need to lower the power quite a bit. If I go below 30% in Lasercut 5.1, the laser does not fire at all. I can see the pinkish gas in the tube but nothing gets to the lens. I have to resort to raising the power and making the speed very fast which results in inaccuracies. Anyone have any luck getting low power on an 80W machine?

Talking Same here

Quote Originally Posted by bgirit View Post
    I recently got an 80W rabbit laser HX1290SE.

I'm trying to score some material very lightly, so I need to lower the power quite a bit. If I go below 30% in Lasercut 5.1, the laser does not fire at all. I can see the pinkish gas in the tube but nothing gets to the lens. I have to resort to raising the power and making the speed very fast which results in inaccuracies. Anyone have any luck getting low power on an 80W machine?

The lowest I set my power is at 38. I just usually play with the speed to get it right. You just have to play with it.

Can you get any kind of accuracy using speeds above 200? for small curves, the laser bounces around so much at high speeds that circles look like funky ovals and corners of polygons get all jagged. I've played around with corner acceleration settings, but I cant get it to maintain decent accuracy at high speeds. Its fine at low speeds but then the powers too high.

You're Right

Its funny how these things work (forums).

I was cutting some stuff today and couldnt get it to cut straight till I lowered the speed to 20!!

There something funny going on here. Hopefully somebody can help out here.

I've been messing with tihs stuff all week. Noticed the same thing about the low power cuts as well. I'm able to maintain accuracy, but then again the quickest I have cut is around 80. What I'm trying to fix right now is ending up with ridges in the edge. Done some searching and apparently even the Epilogue guys have the same problem. I'm fairly convinced it all has to do with the software settings and how they affect the motors. Seems like you would need to either optimize it for high speed or slow speed vectoring or rastering in order to get exactly what you want.

I agree it's really funny how the laser fires but nothing to the tube. Almost like something's in the way. Could be that there's a certain threshold inherent in the tube, below which there's not enough energy to actually send a beam?

there is one setting on laser cut INI file that relates to the lase power ouput percentage vs PWM frequency, you will need a laser power meter and a PWM frequency generator to correctly calibrate output power, this has to be done on each machine becouse all laser tubes are not created equally.

btw i can even mark on a paper sheet!!!!!

Eduardo

elaborate?

Eduardo,

Would you be willing to elaborate on how that can be accomplished? I believe I would be able to acquire those devices, can you explain what would need to be done so that I too can mark on paper?

thanks

i will need your INI file from laser cut, (i have changed to LinkMotion software) and i will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

Eduardo

Heres my ini file. I guess this has some more controllable settings than the config menu in the software?

i looked up linkmotion just now, that seems pretty good as well. it works just fine controlling the mpc?

thank,
    b
    Attached Files Attached Files

ini file

please search for other INI files, as this one does not have the power calibration settings.

Thanks

Eduardo

BTW using Linkmotion totaly replaces the MPC controller, plus you get to use the machine as a printer from ANY aplication (acad, corel ilustrator etc)

Quote Originally Posted by bgirit View Post
    Heres my ini file. I guess this has some more controllable settings than the config menu in the software?

i looked up linkmotion just now, that seems pretty good as well. it works just fine controlling the mpc?

thank,
    b

This one looks like it has some power settings. the only other ini file is the language.ini which is just attempted translation.

thanks,b
    Attached Files Attached Files

i will start a new tread on How to calibrate Laser power on machines using an MPC 6515 controller