586,106 active members*
3,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

90Amp Arc / TIG Conversion

Has anyone ever used one of these conversions. Seems like it work for just hobby use but I'm wondering how thick of material this will actually weld. I'd like to weld some 1/2" aluminum but can't afford a "real" TIG.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45966

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...329573828&rd=1

I think that those are just the torches for the Tig. I think that you need a source of gas, I think argon or helium for Tig Welding.
    Hope to be of some help.

Your lookin at just a torch, you still need a gas supply and a power supply. By the way you will need way more than 90 amps to well 1/2 alum. You will need at least 200 plus amps to weld 1/2 alum. You may be better off taking take job to a welding shop as a 200 amp tig setup will not come cheap.

And for TIG welding aluminum you need AC. The cheaper units are DC only.

I understand all that, I just wondering if it would weld that thick or not from what I had read, you need some serious amperage to weld aluminum. This is just the torch but if you read closely, it is a torch that will connect to a 90 amp arch welder thus converting it to a TIG. But it sounds like it would only be good for welding aluminum cans. No matter how you look at it, it ain't cheap to weld aluminum.

I recently bought a 230 volt, 130 amp Lincoln DC Stick/TIG welder that does just fine on welding aluminum. You guys might be thinking of welding 1/2" in a single pass. I got my all position certification a little while ago and i can tell you from experience that welding 1/2" in a single pass does require 200+ amps and a 3/16 or bigger rod. Most of the welders I have talked do not recommend welding that thick in one pass due to the massive heat build up leading to welding draw which can be a nightmare in itself. If you're really into trying to add a TIG torch to a stick welder take a look at some of the specialty rods they make for stick welders first. You can (believe it or not) stick weld aluminum with the appropriate rod. They make so many rods now it's scary. Just to give you an idea of what TIG costs, I paid $700 before taxes for a 130 amp Stick/Scratch Start TIG combo. I routinely weld 1/4 inch aluminum, I just make multiple passes.

When I said 200 amps plus, I still met multiable pass. aluminum has a very high heat draw. The last shop I worked at I welded up all aluminum coolers up with everything from 1/8 up to 1 thick and NONE of it was done with out some pre heating and in most cases multi passes. Yes you may be able to do it with a smaller machine but your going to spend a VERY long time doing it, just remember that those smaller machines when turned up have a very limited duty cycle that may not be long of enough time to weld it with out burning up your machine. If its just a one time fab job drangsbane is right try and stick weld it, just see your local welding supplier and they will fix you up with the right rod. Just practice on some scrap that is preheated and you should be alright. Just to give you an idea of what it will cost to get to a high amp machine by the time I walk out of my welding supplier on the last two 250 amp plus machines both went over 3 grand each. Its all in what you expect out of your machine and what you want to spend, as the saying goes pay me now or later.

I dont think you will even get a TIG to puddle 1/2" Alum with 90 amp. 200amp will barely touch it.
    I would consider stick welding it if you have to do it yourself on that equipment.
    You can torch weld it as well, but I find that to be extremely difficult (I always screw it up) it can be done though (so I am told).

The items listed are torches only. You still need a regulator, gas and a few adapters to use it with a stick machine. 90 amps is not enough for anything over about 1/16" aluminum. And unless your box has high frequency capability you won't have much success anyway.

The last time I welded 1/4" aluminum with my TIG it burned my face right through the helmet lens. Current was around 350 amps. I was inside the structure being welded so it also burned the back of my neck from reflection off the surfaces.

Doug

u used 350 amp to weld 1/4'' aluminum?now that seems a little excesive think ur telling a lie im calling u out on that one.