586,106 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach Mills in the UK?

So, here's my first ever post on CNCZone! I'm considering buying a CNC mill and the Tormach seems to offer the best compromise between cost and capability. However, there's nothing like actually seeing the machine for real. I assume that there are some Tormachs in the UK. The question is, are there any Tormach owners in the UK prepared to talk to me about their Tormach or better still let me visit and have a look? If some-one is near Cambridge then great, but I am prepared to travel, although John O'Groats may be a bit far!

Best Regards,

Andrew

John Stevenson used to know someone that had a Tormach. He hangs out on the Benchtop forum and maybe other places as well. Tormach will also put you in contact with local owners. They are pretty laid back so I wouldn't be worried about getting hounded by sales people if you do try Tormach.

Mike

Tormach keep a list of people prepared to show their machine. So the best approach is to contact Tormach.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by oly2brf5 View Post
    So, here's my first ever post on CNCZone! I'm considering buying a CNC mill and the Tormach seems to offer the best compromise between cost and capability. However, there's nothing like actually seeing the machine for real. I assume that there are some Tormachs in the UK. The question is, are there any Tormach owners in the UK prepared to talk to me about their Tormach or better still let me visit and have a look? If some-one is near Cambridge then great, but I am prepared to travel, although John O'Groats may be a bit far!

Best Regards,

Andrew

Im in Weybridge, Surrey. Let me know if I can help.

Dave.

Thanks

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the info and special thanks to Dave who allowed me to visit and have a play with his mill. I guess the next move is to talk to Tormach.

Regards,

Andrew

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a basic mill package set up in a garage the UK (machine, shipping, duty, VAT, local delivery) - are we talking £1=$1 or is it worse than that?

Cheers.

You pay for the machine and shipping in USD. You will also have to pay VAT at 17.5% and a shipping agents handling fee. Shipping will be around USD 800 to 1,000 (to your door) and the handling fee probably around GBP 100 to 150.

I guess Dave Baldwin may be along shortly to tell you the exact costs.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a basic mill package set up in a garage the UK (machine, shipping, duty, VAT, local delivery) - are we talking £1=$1 or is it worse than that?

Cheers.

I'm here, I'm here!

I gave a breakdown in this post...

http://cnczone.com/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=3

Dave.

Now I'm confused as to why you are asking the same question again. See your post:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showpost.p...84&postcount=7

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post

Cheers.

In that previous post you say Vat and duty was £1245.28. But 17.5% of USD 6,800 is USD 1,190 which at the exchange rate at the time (2:1) that was about GBP 595. Is there an additional duty of GBP 650 to be paid for importing from the USA into the UK?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by davebaldwin View Post
    I'm here, I'm here!

I gave a breakdown in this post...

http://cnczone.com/forums/showpost.p...98&postcount=3

Dave.

I have a friend who has been collecting mill brochures for 10 years. He always claims this or that reason for not buying, but the fact is that he simply hasn't got the gumption to commit to the deal- maybe Digits is his UK double.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    In that previous post you say Vat and duty was £1245.28. But 17.5% of USD 6,800 is USD 1,190 which at the exchange rate at the time (2:1) that was about GBP 595. Is there an additional duty of GBP 650 to be paid for importing from the USA into the UK?

Phil
    I also bought the deluxe stand, 8" rotary table and some tooling so the cost was closer to USD 10,000.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Now I'm confused as to why you are asking the same question again. See your post:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showpost.p...84&postcount=7

Phil
    My bad - I'd forgotten that I'd asked before oops!