586,058 active members*
4,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam X corrupt file

Unhappy Mastercam X corrupt file

Hi

I was wondering if there is anyway possible to recover a corrupt Mastercam X file. I had a few days of remodeling done to a step file and I just started working on the NC part of the program when I rotated the part and it crashed. Now when I load the file it gives me the error corrupt or invalid file.
    I don't have auto save on, so it wasn't saving when it crashed
    Is there anything I can do or should I just restart all over again?.

Thanks

I have used X since it came out and have never found a way to fix this. Always have auto save on it saves a lot of headaches. You can designate were you auto save to so make a folder for it and if you don't need it clean it up once a week or so.
    Sorry bin there.

The file was saved plently of times but for some reason when it crashed it corrupted the file. What caused this to happen and would it have happened if auto save was on?

A few years ago I found that running one of the Windows maintenance apps (disk defrag, etc.) corrupted my SolidWorks files. Several years of work was gone! The only way I could get them back was to do a system restore to the day before the files got corrupted. It happened one more time and this time I had a computer tech come in, and he's the one that found that if he did a system restore to just a few minutes before one of the Windows maintenance apps was run, everything was fine.

That may not be your problem, but that may be your solution.

Doing a system restore might work but then you have to backup everything that you did from the date you go back to. Also any software or updates will all have to be backed up or they will be gone forever. And no this would not of happened with auto save because auto save actually makes another file then the one you are working on. So you can save a hundred times the same file but once corrupt its gone. If you had an auto save file you go to designated folder open auto save file and your back to work. Once again be care full if you decide to do a system restore some computers will not let you come back if something got lost and you want it back. Good Luck

IIRC System Restore will not restore any files or documents to their previous condition. I wouldn't waste my time on that one...

Auto-Save can cause problems of its own and in my opinion is not the answer to these corrupted files. In fact it probably corrupted and crashed while saving so auto-save will only increase your exposure to this bug.

I am not sure when MC released the "backup files" feature but this is the best solution for your issue. Every time you save, MC makes a seperate backup file in the location of your choosing. If your current file blows up you only lose back to your last save.

I also feel that "X" was pretty buggy and I had lots of corrupted files and unexplained crashes. Now at the X3 level things are much much better. I haven't had a corrupted file for at least 1 year and crashes are few & far between.

If you can't upgrade to a version with "backup files" then you could manually increment the file name. Say you start with "part.mcx" then save-as "part1.mcx" then save-as "part2.mcx", etc... Maybe a PITA but you will never lose work again.

Is there anything I can do or should I just restart all over again?
    I'd recommend starting over. Sucks, I know.