586,043 active members*
3,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > wiring weird microstepping controller

wiring weird microstepping controller

Please help! I have following problem:
    My microstepping controller has strange wire inputs:
    Pulse and Direction should be grounded as signal, and +5V should be always connected. Shouldn't it be opposite?!
    On digital output on main controller I have digital output (+5V signal I guess - arudino board) ? Is there a way to still connect it?

Here is the wiring diagram of microstepping controller:
    http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?i...trollercc6.png

Thanks

Nope, this is common way to do it. Your BOB (breakout board) needs to be active low outputs (or you need to tell your software that). Here's a wiring diagram typically for a C10 or similar BOB. Its the upper schematic - Active Low outputs...

I see you've had a similar answer on the Arduino forum, you should be able to drive the opto-isolator directly. Most opto-isolated stepper drivers e.g. MDSxxx series recognise the rising edge of the signal i.e. you need to pulse the CPU output low (turning LED on) to create the step pulse (LED on->off transition).

Simple answer is to try it and see... you can't really damage anything. Just make sure that the stepper driver ground and your Arduino ground connections are kept separate and keep signal wires away from the motor and stepper main power wiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails driverwiring.jpg  

I am using arduino diecimila board, (www.arduino.cc) as the "main controller". It has 14 digital outputs, and they are +5 on "High" I guess. Somebody told me to put +5V on "Opto" and just connect Pulse and Direction to this digital outputs, and it should work when sending High,Low on digital pin. I would rather that not try it before I get at least one more oppinion.

Just updated my previous post following a vist to the Arduino forum...

OK, Thanks! I will try it then. I am waiting first for the microstepping controller manufacturer reply since I can not find 24V supply, and I'd like to try it with 12V