586,834 active members*
3,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Mach 3 Wizards Z Start Setting

Hey I'm ready to cut but want to drill a hole through my work table.

When you use the Wizards in Mach 3 such as circle cut and hole drill, do you position the Z axis down and just kiss the surface to be cut then press the Zero axis button and then Press Start??

Thanks

I always use either paper (maybe even a cigarette paper) or a shim stock and come down till I detect friction and then punch a Z+ dimension equal to the measured thickness of the "feeler gauge".

Just for safety sake I usually punch in a step jog value and jog Z up, reset zero and try a "dry run" and then jog back down then "GO".
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    I always use either paper (maybe even a cigarette paper) or a shim stock and come down till I detect friction and then punch a Z+ dimension equal to the measured thickness of the "feeler gauge".

Just for safety sake I usually punch in a step jog value and jog Z up, reset zero and try a "dry run" and then jog back down then "GO".
    Sounds like that is a Yes, jog down until I touch the paper, then Zero the "Z" and key in +0.004" for the paper Correct? You didn't mention Zero the "Z" but I think you implied it.
    Hey you are dealing with a rookie here. He He

Thanks

Actually, when you key in a value, that sets zero. No need to first zero then key in the value. If you do a dry run remember all the resetting you gotta do to bring everything back into compliance.

Wish I could put "hands on" to demo exactly what I'm saying.

Cheers!!

PS: I routinely bring all axis close to zeros and reference all to home before I set ANYTHING! That prevents the machine from doing something crazy!
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson