586,116 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

looking for tormach owners - ontario

Hi Guys,

I am finally getting serious about purchasing a small cnc mill.

I am most interested in the tormach machine. Seems to have the weight and sophistication I need to handle small parts in small runs.

Any one out there that has one and willing to share their experiences?
    Thanks
    Jim...

I've got one of the Tormach here (ont)
    I'll try to answer any questions if I can
    Mooser

I'm out of Windsor, I have a Tormach in the garage, but i am exclusively a hobby machinist.

However, I would be happy to answer any questions you might have, within my limited expertise.

Wayne

Thanks for the reply guys,

I run my own small tool and cutter grinding shop in Stoney Creek (just outside Hamilton). My initial interest in the machine was to use with a 4th axis and a high speed grinding spindle to do secondary operations, such as corner radii on the end of cutting tools. I currently use a 5 axis Walter t & c grinder for these ops which does a great job, but is massive overkill. I also could use the helical milling feature for fluting special tools in m2 or m42.

Can I use the machine for engraving? - remember, most of what I need to engrave is hardened tool steel or carbide - thinking of hooking up to a low voltage electrode and electroetch the surface (poor mans laser)

I have just recently secured orders for a variety of small pieces which require more conventional use of a cnc milling machine and lathe. I currently use an edm wire machine, table top mill and small engine lathe to make the parts. I make between 50 to 200 pieces at a time. I have read a lot about the tormach and am quite sure it can do the job for me. I am not familiar and have no knowledge of milling software for cnc. What would you recommend if you were starting from scratch?

Knowing what you know now, having gone through the process of buying and shipping to Canada, what should I include as extras with the machine, and what should I avoid (the enclosure gets a bad rap - justified?)

I apologize for the length of this post - necessary background. I look forward to your replies.

Jim...

Hi Jim,

I have a Tormach in Oakville. You're welcome to drop by and have a look.

Frank

I am in Edmonton, and we brought up a Tormach last summer. It is being used in a machine shop environment.

It is a good machine, dont know about doing any high speed grinding with it or helical milling. I don't think the results would be very favourable.

For some of the more "normal" milling your talking about it would work fine, I have made several injection molds with mine.

Get the encloser and 4th axis, they are a pretty good deal.

CAM software is something else, Mastercam is pretty expensive but well worth it. Try BOBCAD if you want, free demo from the website. There sales people are a bunch of pushy dicks.

Ours paid for itself in a couple of months, not a bad investment. You have to know the machine limits and program it a little different than a real mill.

Any other questions or need a clearer answerer to any of these let me know.
    Live free or die