586,075 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > tool path problem

tool path problem

I basically have a square block with a boss in the middle of it. I want to use a flat endmill to rough it out. It cuts the boss way undersize and I am not sure why.
    I generated the tool path, incremented it down half the tool diameter(maybe this is where I went wrong) then inserted NC and made the program. I made sure the tool technology was right. What else did I miss?? I like to use a flat to rough with since it is faster.

Maybe list the code here showing the code just prior to the roughing cycle?
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have had this problem before. Anytime I want to use a flat to rough with, it cuts any features like a boss way undersize. I stopped doing it that way but would like to figure out how to make it work.Also is there a way to control how much rough stock is left?

acording to my cd bobcad only uses a ball mill unless I mis understood
    thanks Kenneth
    www.lambertsrc.com

I don't know if this will help you or not. I'm getting pretty rusty on Bobcad these days. But, it seemed to me that when you were pocketing you picked the profile and then the islands (the bosses you speak of). The location of the cursor when you picked the islands was critical to the outcome you got for a toolpath. Make sure your cursor is on the outside of the islands. Even then, you need to watch where you place the cursor before you "click it" to select an island. If you have more than one island, you may need to experiment a bit with various cursor locations to get a desirable outcome.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In order to pick just the boss I would need to unstitch that part. BobCad can use flat endmills if you set up the tool on the NC side.

You dont run cutter comp with half your cutter diameter in your tools table. You use it with the full diamter of the cutter and the comp feature splits it.....silly rabbit

fastolds,

Try extracting the edges of your part then project them to a flat plane. Once they are 2D you may need to do a little clean-up, but afterwards you can simply use the pocket function.

Also, which version of BobCAD are you using? Dependant upon the version you may have other options. For instance, the Spiral solid toolpath in V20 will allow you to select one profile and one island for boundary machining.

Regards

I gave up on using Bobcad a while back. It only gets used for DNC now. Thanks for the help

how can i generate G-code from a dxf file? what should i do with the format of the dxf file once i inserted it into the CAD side? delete or leave it? (i used solidworks as my solid modeling software). thanks

hau