586,103 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

check that hair!

Or machines will eat it!

http://break.com/index/dude-gets-hai...n-machine.html

It's distant perspective and not grotesque so it's fairly safe viewing.

ive seen that happen too someone on a manual lathe once,you know that had too hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MFassler View Post
    ive seen that happen too someone on a manual lathe once,you know that had too hurt.
    When I started work at my shop my boss showed me a set of pictures of a dude that got cough in a manual lathe. He was working by him self at night and he had a long sleeve sweater on.

Anyway, one of the sleeves got cough and pulled him in head first.

The chuck turned him in to goo, only his legs where sticking out. It was so gruesome my respect for the lathe went up a 100000000 X times...

I work in a CNC shop and we don't have any Manuel lathes, but every time I see one, I remember the pictures and I wonder how the heck can thousands of ppl work every day with an open spindle.

Scarry!!!

Warning 18 Years Old Plus Content!!!! This is very gruesome, poor guy!

I hope he when to the best lathe heaven!

http://www.b0g.org/wsnm/articles/This+Is+Twisted

A few years ago I had to work on a Okuma turret lathe that the operator was setting up to bore a Carbon Disk Brake for a Boeing 747 and the operator miss placed a decimal point and took a 1.000" cut instead of a .1000 cut and the brake self destructed lucky the operator wasn't standing in front of the machine but as a maintenance mechanic my helper and I had to replace a sheared 3/8" allen head cap screw and a 3/8 tapered aligning pin on a machine that's almost indestructible. Cliff

Damn, that's bad!! I read a safety report of the same thing happening in a shop in Canada. Cold day, shop door open when moving material in and out, operator wearing heavy coat because of it. He was using a file to cleanup chatter marks and it caught the sleeve with the same result. The operator next to him stopped the machine, but it was too late. Tragic. Canadian Safety sited operator incompetance; finish shouldn't have been rough enough to need extra finishing, i.e. filing, and wearing loose clothing around rotating equipment. Also sited employer for not stressing the safety aspects of the latter.

That one with the lathe is horrendous!!! Looked like he had a dog on it and thats what caught him. Yeah I have always had a huge respect for lathes. That the same size one I use at work. Still my favorite tool!!!!

If you look close, he gets his hair wrapped up in the pistol drill he is holding.(nuts)(nuts)

"Michele Dufault, a senior from Scituate, Massachusetts, was killed on April 12 in the student machine shop in the Sterling Chemistry Lab when her hair got caught in a lathe as she was working on a project."

Yale disputes OSHA criticism in student's lab death | Reuters

I seem to recall that this lathe was a simple little Hardinge Toolroom Lathe. Maybe if students were shown the photos above as part of their shop safety training........

...No caveats, no prior warnings other than "This is GRAPHIC, and this shows you what can happen, and you will REMEMBER THIS"

A lot of people thought I was a dick about safety....I was. I was reasonable, but I was a dick. No one was ever injured on my watch, and there weren't any stupid guards that got in your way.

these examples are one of the reasons why I refuse to wear coveralls or shop coats (gave up on the hair after the 80's) . theres a few design flaws that I see as dangerous , the long sleeves for one is a hazzard , even when cuffed they tend to be a bit baggy , also the uniform is somewhat baggy if it is to be anywhere near comfortable . the materials that they are made of are strong enough to nearly lift a truck , so if they get wrapped around a chuck then the only thing that will save a guy is if the machine is gutless and stalls out , otherwise it wont be pretty .
    I'm actually surprised that no one (that i've seen) has created an instant kill switch that is similar to the kill on seadoo's and some boat motors , where as if you fall then the power is killed . Its probably not as though people would use such a device because it would probably come with issues of its own but if a guy got sucked into a machine then the damage would be minumized , rather than the machine continuing to twist a guy into a knot
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

yes keep away hairs from machines

Safety Safety Safety !
    Loose clothing, Hair Gloves all can cause serious injuries, as can jewelry like rings, pendants, chains,watches. Be SAFE ALWAYS. Always use appropriate PPE machine guards etc.
    My Wife's older brother was killed by a spinning lathe, when the part came off.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    A25 Traub
    Really? Haven't run one since 1983...

Had a love/hate relationship with those things.... those marvelous things!!
    I made a bundle with 'em!!!

(also had an A42 and an A56... that was a pure hate relationship)

2 foot long dread locks...havent been caught yet

oh...does a dremel count? dang, that hurt!

ive always taken this stance on the subject...

develop your imagination! imagine the worst things happening, and what may cause them! you tend to take a step back a lot more...

the cap goes on when im using the eyeglass on a grinder, say...

there was the time i changed tools on a bridgeport turret.

easy peasy huh? at 7am in the morning, who reaches for the spindle lock but sort of forgets and hits the power switch right next to it?

those collet spanners can be fun! lucky it was running in reverse, so the nut would have loosened... and my thumb was out of the way.

got a good two revolutions in, smacked me on the back of the hand and then proceeded through the wall behind me....:stickpoke much consternation...

keep ya damn eyes open and THINK first

Loose gloves, clothing and jewelries are hazard to the workplace specially when machines are involved. Too many hand injuries were caused by these items getting stuck in the machines. I do not know but when gloves, clothing or jewelry gets caught in a machines, the first human reaction is to try to pull or retrieve the item quickly. Bad mistake.

its horrible,everyone should be careful

Quote Originally Posted by meltsnowcx View Post
    its horrible,everyone should be careful
    it's just a way of weeding out the stupid

Never use your fingers to polish inside parts on a lathe.

Yikes! I think I'm a little to scared to check out the second link... the description of it was enough for me.

My sister in law was vacuuming under her bed and bent down to see if she got everything when her hair was caught by the vacuum brush and pullled out a big chunk of hair and scalp. she had to go to the emergency room

Please read and understand the safety tips and how its work. Everyone should be careful.
    www.ajancnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12