586,035 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Defiance VTX-1 CNC Mill

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Defiance VTX-1. The mill is complete right out to the end of the cables....The only thing missing is the control computer. I have no idea what kind of control system I need. Anyone work with one of these?

I'm not sure if the cables plug directly into the PC of if there is some kind of interface box. There are 4 cables, flat dual row connectors similar to an IDE cable for a hard drive.

Anyone with ideas please drop me a line. I bought the machine to learn CNC as a hobby. Can't wait to start throwing chips.

Thank You!!

Smile Defiance has been gone for several years now

Defiance has been gone for several years now.

Finding a original control will be almost impossible, time for a retrofit.

Welcome to the Zone

Jeff...

Thanks for writing Jeff.

I knew they were out before I bought the mill, but I thought I would be able to track down the original parts needed. The idea of a retrofit scares me.....I am very new to CNC. I have no clue what I am doing.

I have looked at the retrofit kits from MachMotion.com. I would love to go that route if I knew what to buy.

Another thing that scares me about a retrofit is undercontrolling a machine. I bought this mill because I read that it was fast and accurate...a well built machine all around.(The best I could afford) Is it going to be hard to find a control that will allow the machine to live up to its original standards. In other words, could I retrofit a control that would not be as accurate as the original? Or is it mainly the machine that determines how accurate a cut is going to be?

I guess anything that turns the spindle and moves the table is better than what I've got, huh? ha ha ha

Also, I have read that this machine uses the Bridgeport DX-32 control. Does this help my hunt for the original?

Thanks Again,

Josh

Smile

Josh,

Check your private messages. (PM'S)

Jeff...

Im waiting for my Defiance VTX 1 to arrive

Josh

Have you got your Defiance mill up and running yet?
    I just bought one last week and Im waiting for it to show up.

A good friend of mine has had one for almost 10 years and its still in great shape. I ran a job on his for him today and it was quite the teaser as Im pretty excited about getting my machine.

I'd like to hear more details about you mill and how you like it.

Take care
    Dennis

hi jeff,

my company has 3 defiance vtx-1 machines. 2 we use the third is a parts machine.
    they may be interested in selling you the compleate computer you are missing. the 4 cords whould plug into the back of this and you would be ready to go. let me know if you are interested.

Hi,
    I just bought a Defiance VTX-1. It is a 115V machine and no ATC. I did power up the machine and move the axis. I didn't have air to the machine. I think the machine was amde in '98. I have the operators manual and programers manual. I would like to find a maintinace manual. Also, what type of toolholders did they use? Also, any specs on the coolant pump and its setup. Mine didn't have a coolants pump. The shop I bought it from did graphite EDM electrodes with it.
    Thanks,
    Tom

I now have two Defiance VTX-1. One has the tool changer. There is a new Yahoo group for these machines. Two members so far:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VTX-1/
    Tom