586,035 active members*
3,768 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > power conditioner or digital phase converter?

Question power conditioner or digital phase converter?

Need some advice.
    I have been experiencing some problems with my Bridgeport Series II Interact 4 for the past several months, with not getting the ready light and/or the spindle drive shutting down. During the summer when its hot I have trouble getting the ready light and sometimes when I do get it the spindle will shut down after starting the cycle run. during the winter I have the same problem. If its cool, like now and people aren't running air conditioners or heating(furnaces) I can get the ready light and run without any problems. When I upgraded to 200 amp electrical service the guy from the electric company told me the power in my area was pretty dirty. I'm running a Marathon Series E rotary phase converter and when I hook up a scope to the L1, L2 & L3 my cycles are not 120 degrees apart. L1 & L2 are 180 degrees apart and L3 is 90 degrees off. I'm trying to decide what is the best course of action to take. I have spent hours talking with engineers and they all say their product will correct the problem, no grand assumption there. My first thought was getting a powder conditioner that would regulate the power to +- 2 % since I'm running 220V single phase and clean the power before it goes into the rotary converter and I've also thought I'd go with a digital phase converter, but at $2770, that's pretty steep. I found a used power conditioner for $500 + shipping of around $200.
    So my question is what so you think? If you had this problem how did you solve it. this is really starting to drive me crazy, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you my best information.

Signed, confused in PA.

Ben

How did you observe the phases? did you look at all three with respect to neutral?
    The jpg shows the Fitch Williams design and the output WRT nuetral.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FRW-5.jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    How did you observe the phases? did you look at all three with respect to neutral?
    The jpg shows the Fitch Williams design and the output WRT nuetral.
    Al.
    Al,
    used a dual trace scope with probe on 1X. one probe on the L1 and the other on L2, then switched probe L2 to L3. the ground from the probe was hooked to neutral.