586,114 active members*
3,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Puma TT1800

Puma TT1800

I am looking to buy new lathe with main and sub spindle, 2 turrets Y axis at least on upper turret and live tooling. I have quotes for Puma TT1800, Takamaz XY-2000, Okuma LM2000MYW.
    Price difference is around 10%.
    Please advice on quality of machine and avaliable service.
    Thanks in advance.

1) First take all suggestions from online advisors with a grain of salt. You never know what their agenda is.
    2) You don't mention what area you work in. That may help dictate which machine dealer services the best.
    3) I do not know about Takamaz. Both Doosan and Okuma are reputable companies with decent machines. The largest part of your quest should be devoted to not which machine, but which dealer will give you the best support in service.
    4) If you Truly wish to find the best machine, go kick the tires. Sketch a simple part for all 3 machines to program Turn, thread, cross-drill & tap - Specify speeds and feeds so you can check response times. They can cut air if needed, but you can watch and learn.

Triv

I suggest u to go with Doosan.

Thanks for advice.
    Daniil

I would go with the Doosan TT1800, but i am bias towards Fanuc controls

I work in a machine shop that has a Doosan TT1800 and Okuma 200 using Macman software. I know that both machines have very good repeatabilty. They both are used to make a part that has .0004 tolerance. The Okuma is more user friendly, once you get used to Okuma controls. However if your like me, who is use to Fanuc controls then you'll favor Doosan. Okuma has a lot of graphics that helps the user seeing what their adjusting. The Tool adj Graphics shows the tool and how your adjustment is going to affect the part.

I have the manuals in PDF format for both machine if you need them let me know.