586,112 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Retrofit Tree 320 with Fagor?

Hello, all. I have a Tree Journeyman 320. It's so solid and in such good shape, I think it worthy of a retrofit.

I have been looking at Fagor 8055 package. This seems like a great package. I would appreciate feedback from anyone using the control in the field.

Are there other controls I should take a look at for comparison? I say packages because I am a good mechanic, but I am not a computer whiz.

The machine is a vertical mill, servos on all three axes, no tool changer, no programmable spindle speed.

Thanks, Tom

I recently looked at a mill retrofit and compared the Fagor with a Siemens 802.The Siemens was $2000 cheaper and seemed to include more for the money.
    Mark.

What I like about the Fagor is that I can load a DXF file into it and develop my program right there at the control. I looked at the Siemens site, but it wasn't very helpful. I may need to contact a sales rep. for my application.

The Siemens site is a bit of a disaster to navigate.I never seem to get around it the same way twice.You can download the 802D manuals from here.
    http://support.automation.siemens.co...subtype=133300

Mark.

Hi I´m Chrale sfrom argentine and I´m a Fagor Oem. If you have to compare by prices a Siemens 802D or 802SL you have to look a Fagor 8035. The 8055 it´s a supirior control that have a conversacional move and a lot of options than the Siemens 802. If you need Fagor information please contact me.

Best regards

Carlos

The Siemens comes with a plc programme which you can edit.The Fagor comes without the PLC programme and no help from Fagor.

Becouse you don´t need any software to program it. And the in the manuals there is all the information you need. There is an plc model you can use for your first plc programming. And in the CNC you have all the tools to verified the plc there is a monitorizing page, even if you have to adjust and axis you have an osciloscope or a circle test.
    And you have the WinDNC for free in the Fagor website. You could do the programm in your PC and communicate to the cnc or you could edit from the CNC keyboard.

Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    The Siemens comes with a plc programme which you can edit.The Fagor comes without the PLC programme and no help from Fagor.
    This statement is somewhat true.
    Yes Fagor doesn't directly manufacture or support the PLC because it generally will be different for every application.
    However Fagors "bolt-on" mill kit will have good support because it is mass produced and they are all the same.
    On the other hand, when I have had Fagor tech out here (or on the phone) they have ALWAYS been able to help me sort-out/tweak my PLC settings and the PLC settings are directly available from the Fagor controller. Plain and simple because tech really knows their stuff and how it needs to integrate.

BTW- the few bucks saved by going to the 8035 is not worth it, the 8055 is vastly superior (especially for importing DXFs). For most jobs it is quicker to conversational program than it is to import a DXF anyway.

my .02
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

But the DXF import it´s makes by the WinDNC program. So if you don´t use the conversational mode or other special feature you can use the 8035. The principal limitation is if you use an 8035M You only can use three axes + spindle you cannot connect a fourth axis. And the 8035T suports two axis + spindle. I put 8035 in several lathe, mills and machining center an it work perfectly. And the PLC program is very easy to do it.

I agree

But for the difference in price, the USB and the DXF abilities alone are worth it - not to mention all the other improvements.

I hope Tom Curran decided to buy Fagor CNC. For me is the most reliable option than others CNC.
    Best regards DareBee

Carlos

You as well Carlos