586,077 active members*
3,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 10 of 11 891011
    If you have no patience like me just take an oversized key and grind a little off each flat until you get a fit...

"The counter-sunk ones and the set-screws are going to be tricky though..."

Screw extractors should do the trick for the countersunk bolts and maybe the set screws too. -Al

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha
    JavaDog,

With metric measurments you get half sizes many times and therefore you may have to get an extensive metric allen key set set to ensure you get all the small sizes. Look at the sizes on the allen keys you are using and it is very likely that a half size will solve the problem.

Jason
    Yeah, problem is I will need to order a (probably $$) set - since I can't find anyone local that has the odd half-sizes. It is an option though...

Quote Originally Posted by fyffe555
    If you have no patience like me just take an oversized key and grind a little off each flat until you get a fit...
    Good idea, the 35pc set I have is a $10 Harbor-Freight special, so I wouldn't lose any sleep about grinding one or tow of them down. We'll call this Plan-B.

Quote Originally Posted by alnicov
    Screw extractors should do the trick for the countersunk bolts and maybe the set screws too. -Al
    Yeah, I was hoping to avoid screw-extractors - but I might not have a choice with the tiny set-screws.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Here are some pictures of the awesome enclosure that I bought for all the electronics and power supply:

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well looks like rusty sheetmetal....what did you pay for it....better get it painted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Well looks like rusty sheetmetal....what did you pay for it....better get it painted quickly.
    Steel does tend to do that. Sadly, I can't paint it until the weather is better...

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Nothing like a few word's of encouragement

Good to see you have returned from the 'Murky depth's' Java. That's some nice rusty steel you have there. One thing for sure when painted / sprayed it looks a sturdy enclosure and should house everything.

How has the frame progressed ? Any updates ?

All the best.

Shaun

Ok, back to the frame...

Tapping the 80/20 Extrusions:

The frame, not mocked up - actually bolted together:

Frame with MDF spoil-board (not yet cut to size):

Since I wasn't happy with my Dual-Transformer design for my PSU I decided to go another route.

A forum member was kind enough to send me a toroid transformer (what y'all said I should have used from the start!). Check it out:

Light at the end of the tunnel...

So, this morning I drilled out the stripped set-screws holding the rails into the assembly. Remember, I needed to take out the rails and ballscrew and re-mount them spaced to hold the gantry.

There are the offending buggers:

BTW - Those machine set-screws are a ***** to drill out! :devious:

I also went aluminum shopping and bought the lower cross-member that will be the base of the gantry. I decided to put the rails/slides in place (or there-abouts) to see how it looks:

Holy crap, it's starting to look like something!

Stay tuned for the making of the rail mounting blocks!

Fabulous!

The "something" it's starting to look like is fabulous!

Great photo record if your build. Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking enclosure for your electronics.

Alright, so I need to get the X-Axis rails mounted to the frame so I can measure and get the aluminum for my gantry.

First, had to get rid of the old mount that held the rails and ballscrew in one compact mount:

The, I got some small aluminum blocks that needed to be drilled out to hold the rails and be mounted to the frame. For size ref. they are 2" x 1.5".

Drilling the first block, which will also be the guide for the rest of the blocks:

Using the first block as a guide for all the others (I know aluminum doesn't make the best drill guide - but it worked fine). You'll notice the blocks weren't all the exact same size.

Next I needed to drill a 3/4" hole for the rails in the blocks. Now, with my little drill-press I couldn't come up with a way to make that large of a hole that would be even close to accurate. So, a friend offered to help.

So, we clamped all the blocks together and drilled them all in one shot so they would be all the same.

Check out that monster bit that we used. Yarr!

Pictures of the finished blocks and mounted rails soon!

Java, great to see the progress! keep at it!

Can't wait to see you cutting
    mike

Got the blocks all done and the rails mounted. Got lots of time, since I just got fired from my job. It's all good though, wasn't happy there anymore. Now, back the the CNC Machine! :cheers:

Drilling the hole for the Set-Screw that will hold the rail:

Now that they are drilled, time to tap them:

All done! Look at those spiffy little blocks, you can see the rail next to them:

Frame back together with the rails/blocks bolted up. Everything is perfect, square and level.

I clamped the bottom part of the gantry to the rails temporarily to check clearence and movement. Glides nice and smooth too. Now, to get the ballscrew and servo mounted - and the lower half is done!

Movement Video!

More to come VERY soon.

Now I need to mount the ballscrew to the frame. The old mounting plate, for the time being, is the best option. But, it needs a few adjustments...

Since it will be mounted facing the end-plate I need to counter-sink the two bottom screw holes:

Now I need to drill a hole in my end-plates for the shaft of the ballscrew. My drill-press couldn't reach to the center of the plate, so I had to use my cordless. Surprisingly, it chewed through both plates with ease!

Now for the four holes to mount the ballscrew bracket to the plate:

Man, I love it when I measure things correctly and they fit perfect!

Now, for the other side of the ballscrew with the bearing. The original bracket wasn't the same size/shape as the first bracket. Since I drill the holes through both end-plates at the same time - I kinda wanted a bracket that would use the existing holes. Also, it would help me keep everything aligned.

The old mounting bracket:

Now, I don't have a way to do the flat-bottom bore in aluminum - so I decided to make the bracket out of 1/2" polycarbonate.

Four corner holes drilled - now for the center bore to hold the bearing:

Just need to clean it up a little:

Perfect! Just like the original:

All mounted up with the bearing and blasscrew in place:

Of course, I will re-make it out of aluminum when my machine is running...

The other end mounting utilizing the original bracket:

Looking good!

Now to get the gantry done! I would say I am over the hump now, maybe 40% left to go...

Oh Yeh !

Got my internet connection back and a lot of catching up to do.

Build is coming along great Java. The picture quality as usual is perfect.

Sorry to hear about your job but at least it's got you kick started on this

Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by santiniuk
    Oh Yeh !

Got my internet connection back and a lot of catching up to do.

Build is coming along great Java. The picture quality as usual is perfect.

Sorry to hear about your job but at least it's got you kick started on this

Keep it up.
    Oh man, I don't know what I would do without internet!

Thanks, truth be told - I wasn't happy there anymore and an excellent opportunity came along the day I got sacked. So, I have two months on unemployement to finish my machine and learn how to use it! It's actually pretty great... :cheers:

Page 10 of 11 891011