586,551 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > purchase or building a home cnc router.

Talking purchase or building a home cnc router.

hi there, i used a small tecno isel cnc router in high school a few years back and i currently program many cncs in my machine shop using mastercam, i was wondering what my options were to get a cnc router in my condo, i would like one that would do simple plaqes and engravings, also some simple 3d work again all small, i need this mostly as a "toy" and a learning tool, on ebayi see this product alot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...845795637&rd=1

and i was wonderig if anyone knows if its any good, if it can be run using mastercam or maybe thier software is good enough... i can afford the one on the site, im afraid i may not have the time or the tools to build one myself from scract, maybe a kit, but not from scratch. please let me know any info possible guys. thanks
    [email protected]

hrm.. nobody responding here hope i didnt say anything to offend anyone... if i did i didnt mean it

No you did not offend anyone, you only post this today hardly giving it enough time for a response. From the looks of the machine it looks like a good by especially if you do not have the time or place to build on yourself.

Give it some time. Most folks are still at work....

I am not sure if that's a good machine or not.

Mastercam will work for any router, you just need the right post.

CNCZeus is just the control software, it's not a CAM package. You need CAM (such as Mastercam) together with this software to make it cut something useful.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

i did rush it didnt i

sorry guys i was at work and didnt realize that i posted so quickly. well im doing so much research on a home cnc router now. the one on ebay that i posted made by black lab machine seems great, i was wondering if there is anyway in these forums or online some where else to get help creating a custom mastercam post for that type of router. im moving into a condo so i can not really get too large a machine, also it cant be TOO noisy... i know how loud the routers are, so i may want an alternative spindle i know that boosts up price, but if there are any suggestions let me know thanks again . :banana:

You can modify the posts that come with mastercam if you don't mind staring at a text file for a few hours looking confused. There are even some online resources about it. I have one that will work with TurboCNC and that will run any machine that uses step and direction drives on the parallel port. It could be modified to tweak the format for most software I suspect.

As for build or buy. Build if you will enjoy doing it or if you can't afford to buy.

Graham

well...

first off i wish i could have the balls to build one, but to be honest im not a great electrition... probably cant even spell it right. the only electronics stuff i have done is modify xbox's beyond belief and install car stereos, on the other hand i am a pretty good machinist and have full acess to cnc/ manual machines for just about any part at work, the only draw back for me would be the electronics, are there any kits out there that would make the electronics simple? (wedge)

There are lots of easy to use drivers out there. From www.xylotex.com to www.geckodrive.com the electronics is not very difficult at all, you don't need to design anything just wire it up.

Graham

p.s. electrician

Quote Originally Posted by s_bedow
    also it cant be TOO noisy... i know how loud the routers are, so i may want an alternative spindle i know that boosts up price, but if there are any suggestions let me know thanks again . :banana:
    I think you'll find when cutting wood that a lot (if not most) of the noise comes from the bit making the cuts. Our large router at work (10HP) is basically silent until it starts cutting. When the bits get dull, the noise goes up... fast.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

smarbaga

Quote Originally Posted by s_bedow
    hrm.. nobody responding here hope i didnt say anything to offend anyone... if i did i didnt mean it
    may i sugest to cad a machine on your home computer and study it for days source out all the parts ( including custom cutting, machining, motors and electronics ).
    this will give you a close cost. try to use off the shelf parts and standard sizes of stock.
    ps: it looks good ... i prefer functioality and cost effectivness before good looks . try the junk yard for starters, a disguarded engraver or something like that can give a person direction and a good start.
    good luck