587,070 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VS3D version 1.33 released.

VS3D Version 1.33 has just been released. It includes subtle enhancements to the tool paths, among other things. Also included with the release is a new true-type font V-bit carving tutorial, which can be viewed here:
    VS3D text carving/engraving tutorial

VS3D version 1.33 can be downloaded from here:
    VS3D Version 1.33 download page

The download includes the full product, minus the license key. VS3D can be run in demo mode without a key. Free 30-day evaluation keys are available.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

I supose it would be nice if it would install. I get an error on installing it,

C:\App\DES_COM\vs3d10\bin\bin.x86\MesaGL4_0.dll

An error occured while trying to copy a file:
    The source file is coruppted

I downloaded it 2 times all the same error

Sorry finally installed after the 3'rd download!

Quote Originally Posted by Aksess
    Sorry finally installed after the 3'rd download!
    Strange - I'm not sure what happened there. But glad you got it going.
    Let me know if I can help you in any way with VS3D.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Bobart vs Vs3d

I am currently using BobArt and am looking at VS3d Demo. One thing I like about BobArt is the ability to grab the picture and move it to a position so I can see the results at a sharp angle to see how the relief looks before I spend a few hours cutting it. Is this possible with VS3d?

Quote Originally Posted by Rgolde
    I am currently using BobArt and am looking at VS3d Demo. One thing I like about BobArt is the ability to grab the picture and move it to a position so I can see the results at a sharp angle to see how the relief looks before I spend a few hours cutting it. Is this possible with VS3d?
    Yes, you can in VS3D/VScad3. Here is what you can do:

1. Select the main VS3D menu "Edit -> CAD Geometry Builder -> Export to...". This will start VScad3 and automatically send the current VS3D surface over to it.

2. In VScad3, switch the main mode from "Select" to "View". Then set the view mode to "Rotate".

3. Click and drag the left mouse button on the surface to rotate the view. If you have a decent OpenGL-compatible graphics card, you should be able to "spin" the view in real time.
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

I tried your suggestion I can see it but it doesn't come close to the rendered image in BobArt, although I can hardly manipulate the image in BobArt. I am trying to see how the program works on a jpeg of a face. I tried to bring the eyes up a little so they don't look like holes in the head. I used region, drew a circle and sculpted with bulge. But it's tough to see the result. Also, I 'm not sure what if I'm dealing in inches or pixels.
    RG

Quote Originally Posted by Rgolde
    I tried your suggestion I can see it but it doesn't come close to the rendered image in BobArt, although I can hardly manipulate the image in BobArt. I am trying to see how the program works on a jpeg of a face. I tried to bring the eyes up a little so they don't look like holes in the head. I used region, drew a circle and sculpted with bulge. But it's tough to see the result. Also, I 'm not sure what if I'm dealing in inches or pixels.
    RG
    There are a lot of ways to modify the display in VScad3. For example, you can change the view angle, add/move/delete lights, and change the color of the surface.

In your case, when using a region to bulge out the eyes, make sure the sculpt mode is in "+--" (additive) mode. And also make sure that the "Z:" setting is sufficiently large enough so that you will see the difference in height after the bulge.

All surface height (Z) coordinates in VS3D are in inches (or mm if you set it up that way). The XY coordinates are shown in Grid Coordinates (pixels) and Data Coordinates (inches). To set the physical size of the grid (image), in inches, use the "Edit -> Coordinate Scale..." menu. you can also go to "Display" mode and click on "Show Rulers" to see the inch scales.

PS: Here is an image captured from the software. The top part shows a DXF model of a race car in VScad3. The bottom part shows it as a relief surface exported from VS3D to VScad3 (in a rotated view):

http://www.designscomputed.com/files/vs_figure_01.jpg
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

I am very impressed with VS3D but still trying to compare it with Bobart. I have contacted bobcam and I am going to have them make me a file. any opinions on which program is better for photo milling (since they are selling for the same price) would be appreciated. I have been viewing STL files from VS3D with solid viewer available free on the web. the files need to be pushed in by saying no to quit loading and it will complete the file. it can then be viewed easily. any input is appreciated

I'm not familiar enough with BobArt to make any comments regarding it's capabilities. I can say that VS3D will go a very good job milling images, and VS3D does a lot of things "under the hood" that you don't even notice until you run a tool path. Things like automatic "anti-aliasing" to reduce pixel "stair-stepping" artifacts in the output tool paths, and interpolation between "pixels" for smoother contours.

And, of course, VS3D offers all the tools to perform virtual sculpting on the image surface to fine-tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by henryj1951
    I am very impressed with VS3D but still trying to compare it with Bobart. I have contacted bobcam and I am going to have them make me a file. any opinions on which program is better for photo milling (since they are selling for the same price) would be appreciated. I have been viewing STL files from VS3D with solid viewer available free on the web. the files need to be pushed in by saying no to quit loading and it will complete the file. it can then be viewed easily. any input is appreciated
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

I have BobArt and would recomend VS3D instead. Although you get a better idea of what the finished carving looks like with BobArt you can do little to enhance the picture. Sculpting tools like VS3D's are not available in BobArt, that is the deciding factor for me.
    RG