586,121 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > Need a Laptop Cable for a Tree Journeyman 325 Dynapath

Need a Laptop Cable for a Tree Journeyman 325 Dynapath

I need a laptop cable for my tree journeyman 325 dynapath. I only have USB on my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by acoomer79 View Post
    I need a laptop cable for my tree journeyman 325 dynapath. I only have USB on my laptop. Any help would be much appreciated
    You will probably have to make/adapt your own. I think I have the pin out diaghram if that will help. I have a Journeyman325 with Dynapath 20. Let me know. I can fax or email it.

There is a usb to serial port adapter that you can purchase. Staples has them for about $40.00. I got one off ebay a few months ago for less than $10 including shipping. Then you will have to make a cable with 9pin serial port on one end that connects to the adapter and what ever your machine has on the other (probably rs 232). If you don't already have the wiring figured out I can probably help with that. Good luck... it can be a little aggravating but it is awesome once you get them communicating.

I am new to milling and need help choosing my first machine. I would like manuel mill now but convert it to cnc later i am looking at the grizzly G0484 http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-...th-Stand/G0484

yes, please email me the pin out diagram if you could. thanks

I recently purchased a Tree Journeyman 325 with Dynapath Delta 20, and am looking for a little help in getting going.
    How did it work out with the connector cable? I'm using a laptop with USB also; do we really have to make a custom cable?!?

Regarding PROGRAMMING -
    I rec'd a couple of old manuals with the machine, but clear instructions on programming is sorely lacking. I guess 1989 was a time of conversational programming, with few remote computers around.
    Does anyone have a suggestion or lead on a programming manual? Does such a manual exist for Delta 20?
    I've worked on an old CNC Bridgeport for years, and done some Mori Seiki with Fanuc, so have a basic idea of programming syntax.
    I would appreciate if anyone had some examples of what programs look like - tool changes, for example.

Thanks! I really want to get this baby spinning!

Don't know about USB as I haven't tired it. But I did set mine up with a wireless serial device server. An ethernet SDS could also be used with a correct serial cable (same with wireless). Basically, software outputs network info as serial. The controller is ported for several types of program loading with the RS232 being the best option (unless you like audio tape or TTY)

For the 325 you will want the "Customer Information Manual --Dynapath Delta 10M/20M Computer Numeric Controls". It is specific to the Tree since the Dynapath was used by various machine tool manufacturers and the Tree has some quirks of it's own.

Dynapath is supposed to have manuals...doubt they are low cost, but definately worth the cost as the Dynapath is a suprisingly powerful controller. The conversational part has some superior function over the EIA code expecially considering the limited memory resources of the controller. The Dynapath 20 can be drip feed (haven't tried that either but won't with the wireless).

The machine is rather manual when it comes to tool changes. If you need to incorporate tool changes, it is not too difficult to create a pause, tool change location, etc to give a spot to hit the unclamp switch and spit out the exisiting tool in your hand.

Sent you a PM with some more ideas.
    MechWerks

Thanks Mechwerks for the info. Anyone else, please feel free to make suggestions.

Regarding programming -

I do have the "Customer Information Manual --Dynapath Delta 10M/20M Computer Numeric Controls". It shows G and M and other codes as to their meaning, but I am not seeing how to lay out a full program - the syntax, if you will.
    I think all that I really need is to see a few examples of EIA programs that could be downloaded from a remote computer. From the manual, "The control can accept programs input with RS-358 (ASCII) data (with or without parity). Programs can be written or edited entirely in the EIA RS-274-D format or conversational format."

Regarding cable connection -

I'm still lost when it comes to the cable connection - is it true that I will have to make a cable? solder one up?? Maybe it's a function of the age of this machine [approx. 1989] but this is surprising.

Thank you,

Bill

The cable is just a straight through serial cable. DB-25 on the controller. If for some reason you need to adapt to a DB-9 the pins are just carried through from the 25 to the 9. I used a wireless Serial Device Server. A network to serial SDS can be a good option to connect a late model PC to a remote Dynapath. The network cable can handle long runs unlike the serial. Since many of the SDS are DB-25 it is pretty simple to connect to the controller. I have found SDS items on eBay under $100. Lantronix has some functional units and good site info. The software for the SDS will let you configure network traffic to look like serial and make the serial settings you need. (I realize this is all confusing..but I figured out much on my own).

Program example:

(EXAMP)
    N100(9)M03T10S3000$ **(9) M code...M03..Tool 10...spindle 3000RPM
    N110(0)X0.Y0.Z0.1$ **(0) Movement...Z.01
    N120(0)X0.Y0.Z-0.1F2.0G1W.1$
    N130(0)X0.75Y0.$
    N140(0)X1.5Y0.$
    N150(0)X2.25Y0.$
    N160(0)X3.Y0.$
    N170(0)X3.75Y0.$
    N180(0)X4.5Y0.$
    N190(0)X5.25Y0.$
    N200(0)G0$
    N210(9)M30$
    END

The numbers like (9) or (0) are conversational from the controller. (9) is M code, (0) is motion. The controller adds in the $ as line returns..if your program file doesn't have them, the controller will add them. Program requires END at the end.
    MechWerks

We have setup a lot of PC/Laptop to CNC machines over the last few months wirelessly with these adapters http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZ...ialAdapter.htm with a complete level of success. We have setup several scenarios as scene at http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZ...Multipoint.htm. If this is helpful let me know.

Thanks again Mechwerks. Seems like I'm getting closer, but it has been frustrating since I have experience working on some of these machines, but NOT setting them up.
    Clearly, the first order of business is getting connected. Since I have a fairly new laptop, seems like I will need to garner a serial cable plus an adaptor for the USB connection into the laptop. I have about 50' I'll need to span ...

I don't want to take too much of your time, but could you just explain lines N120 [what is W do?] and N200 [why is there a G0 with nothing else]?
    Were you saying that line N110 would yield movement, though I don't see a G code associated with it??

I am broadening my enquiries, as you suggest 'practical machinist', so I don't lean on you too heavily. It may be time to check in with Dynapath directly.

Thanks again for your time,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MechWerks View Post
    The cable is just a straight through serial cable. DB-25 on the controller. If for some reason you need to adapt to a DB-9 the pins are just carried through from the 25 to the 9. I used a wireless Serial Device Server. A network to serial SDS can be a good option to connect a late model PC to a remote Dynapath. The network cable can handle long runs unlike the serial. Since many of the SDS are DB-25 it is pretty simple to connect to the controller. I have found SDS items on eBay under $100. Lantronix has some functional units and good site info. The software for the SDS will let you configure network traffic to look like serial and make the serial settings you need. (I realize this is all confusing..but I figured out much on my own).

Program example:

(EXAMP)
    N100(9)M03T10S3000$ **(9) M code...M03..Tool 10...spindle 3000RPM
    N110(0)X0.Y0.Z0.1$ **(0) Movement...Z.01
    N120(0)X0.Y0.Z-0.1F2.0G1W.1$
    N130(0)X0.75Y0.$
    N140(0)X1.5Y0.$
    N150(0)X2.25Y0.$
    N160(0)X3.Y0.$
    N170(0)X3.75Y0.$
    N180(0)X4.5Y0.$
    N190(0)X5.25Y0.$
    N200(0)G0$
    N210(9)M30$
    END

The numbers like (9) or (0) are conversational from the controller. (9) is M code, (0) is motion. The controller adds in the $ as line returns..if your program file doesn't have them, the controller will add them. Program requires END at the end.

Bill,

I am sure we have a solution for you to forego the 50' cable with our wireless adapters at http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZone/HdwBTRS232.htm. We have setup several Fanuc and other CNC controllers with our wireless adapters. As stated most of the new laptops are shipped without serial ports so USB/Serial Adapters are usually needed. We have those adapters at http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZ...wUSBRS232S.htm. You can give me a call at +1(281)360-4232 and ask for Edgar and I am sure we can get you up quickly. Alternatively you can email us at [email protected] or visit us at http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZone/Wireless.htm and http://www.wcscnet.com/Websites/CNCZ...Multipoint.htm.

Best Regards

Cable and Adapter

We do stock the cables for most machines, including the Dynapath you mentioned. We also sell comm ports for laptops.

Check out our website, if you already have the pieces, we can still help guide you in the right direction to make sure you have the solution.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Hi guys,has anyone got communication working with a delta 50m?
    The port is dead on my Comet mill,only the floppy drive works.A bit of a pain when you have to make program changes often.
    Is there some other way to conect to the board?
    Any help would be apreceated.
    Thanks
    Claude