586,664 active members*
5,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > CNC Brain is ready! 6-axis Double Closed Loop Controller
Page 31 of 32 2129303132
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieET View Post
    K

There will not be a plug in for Mach software on a CNC brain.

Donnie
    Donnie, where did you get this information from?
    It was my impression that Bruce was talking to Brian from Artsoft about this. I think a more accurate answer would be not yet and probably not for a while unless Bruce or Brian put the squash on the idea, which I am not aware of (please do correct me if I am wrong).

K, the smooth stepper is a good option at this time for Mach3 and USB support although it to is still in beta as well, still missing backlash (which the Brain doesn't need of course) and some other little things I belive. The G100 has never left beta, not sure if people gave up on it or what. NC Pod has seemed to have disappeared atleast I can't find any where to purchase it since 2007!
    Robert

OK, so who thinks we dropped off the face of the Earth? (chair)

Almost felt like it myself. :wave:Had to get things organized. Didn't expect the Brain to be so well received and didn't have everything as ready as would have liked.

We're still going at it. Were way behind on getting V1.6.4 out the door (duh!). Bringing on help.

Sorry. No plans for the Mach plugin at the moment. Nothing against Mach, great bunch of guys. It is about where to put resources.

s/Bruce

Bruce,

Great to hear from you!

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Does anyone have their mill up and running on the CNC Brain? I would be curious to know the results.

I'm just days away from ordering all the electronics for my Boss mill and I'm torn between the brain or using a break out board with a smooth stepper. The one things that's making the decision hard is not having Mach3 available. On the other hand I really like the simplicity of the Brain setup and software, it seems very intuitive.

I'm curious to hear feedback on the interface in use.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Does anyone have their mill up and running on the CNC Brain? I would be curious to know the results.

I'm just days away from ordering all the electronics for my Boss mill and I'm torn between the brain or using a break out board with a smooth stepper. The one things that's making the decision hard is not having Mach3 available. On the other hand I really like the simplicity of the Brain setup and software, it seems very intuitive.

I'm curious to hear feedback on the interface in use.
    Hi Dirt,

There is a guy over on Bruce's forum that has one up and running. I don't think he has ever posted here, but am not sure.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I have installed but for me, right now it´s an unstable device. Now I´m working with smooth stepper while I´m waiting for the next drivers of the CNCbrain.

granado could you please expound on the unstable statement? What kind of problems are you having. Remember, this is a beta and the purpose of the beta period is to find and kill bugs, make fixes etc.

Is the unstability because of the software, the hardware? I am about to install mine and would like to know what to look for so I won't have the same problems.....others are probably in the same boat.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Hi Granado,

That's not good! What is unstable about it? Are you the same one who was having problems with having to restart it on the CNCbrain forum?

Thanks,

Kirk

I reported this into the cncbrain forum:

Topic: Jerky motion
    Posted: 2008-Sep-11 at 7:43am
    I’m testing the cncbrain with a G-code from a relief sculpture in openloop mode. The software (V1.0.6.3) it’s configured with the same parameters like mach3 or EMC2.

The results are no very good with short lines, G64 it’s active but the movements are not smooth . Also Stop and Pause are not working properly.

Any suggestion?

BR
    Antonio

Bruce told me that this will be fixed into the V1.0.6.4 version. So I´m waiting. I think that cncbrain it´s a great device but I understand that we are into the beta period. I trust on Bruce's brain. Seems an honest guy.

The suspence is killing me. Anyone know when version V1.0.6.4 is coming out?
    I've got my retro on hold, untill I hear that someone has their machine running with a CNC Brain.

Hi Granado

Can you give a rundown on the hardware and software you're using? Even though you're having problems it's still good to know what combinations are possible.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Hi Dougal.

I´m using G202 Gecko drivers with C1 Parallel Port Interface Card from cnc4pc.com. - Windows XP SP3 - Pentium IV 2,6Gh 1GB RAM - and it´s configured like mach3 recommend on his web. This configuration it´s working well with mach3 and smoothstepper.

BR
    Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by granado View Post
    Hi Dougal.

I´m using G202 Gecko drivers with C1 Parallel Port Interface Card from cnc4pc.com. - Windows XP SP3 - Pentium IV 2,6Gh 1GB RAM - and it´s configured like mach3 recommend on his web. This configuration it´s working well with mach3 and smoothstepper.

BR
    Antonio
    Thank you.
    Are you using mach3 as a sort of post-processor to generate code or are you inputting manually?
    I'm still trying to decide which route to go software wise. I use solidworks and my mill is not yet operational.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

There are three problems fixed with the V1.6.4 software/firmware release:

1) In some systems, the autotuner doesn't detect the "wobble" correctly and as such doesn't tune the algorithm to compensate.
    2) There was a combination in the configuration that could cause the machine to slow down unexpectedly. This was fixed on most systems with V1.6.3.
    3) Interpolations on linked axis (where two axis act as one) would unlink the axis on circular interpolations.

**As for when V1.6.4 is released, I don't want to put a date on it, but it is very close. We are running very behind and playing catchup (No denying that fact)

V1.6.4 got caught between major enhancements, bug fixes, and bad timing. Made the update WAY too big.

Don't plan on making that mistake again (hindsight being what it is (chair)). We prefer small, quick changes.

s/Bruce

I did a little testing, for a custom cncbrain screen.

I replaced the "Run" & "E-Stop" buttons.

I used Inkscape 0.46 to create the .png images, & tweaked the button settings in VB.net 2005.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cncbrainButtonTest1.JPG  
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Cool switcher!

Off the subject, does anyone know if a VFD needs to have any type of extra protection like opto isolation, or can I run the Brain direct to the VFD to control it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Thank you.
    Are you using mach3 as a sort of post-processor to generate code or are you inputting manually?
    I'm still trying to decide which route to go software wise. I use solidworks and my mill is not yet operational.

Hi Dougal.

I don´t know if I can help you because I only use my plotter for raster images and the typical polygonal 3d files.

To generate the gcode I prefer to use software, by hand only very simple works but it´s very tedious.

For raster images (relieves) I can tell you that you can get the same result with mach3 as in an expensive program. For poligonal 3d files if you don´t want to spend money I suggest this Gmax+CNCtoolkit.

But usually I don´t work with solid models like generates solidworks. I suggest you to get the one that you understand how it works easily .You will get the same results with a lot of programs. Only big companies needs the latest strategies for milling. For my work it´s the same that my machine spent 4:30 hour or 4 hour . But if you have money my favorites are Delcam products but a lot of people prefer 1ºMastercam, 2º BobCad-cam , 3ºOnecnc...

BR.
    Antonio

pd:sorry for my english

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggler View Post
    Cool switcher!

Off the subject, does anyone know if a VFD needs to have any type of extra protection like opto isolation, or can I run the Brain direct to the VFD to control it?

There doesn't appear to be enough info around to really anwser that question. The Brain manual has a Spindle section in it but the section thats listed are not in print (the listing is there but the info is not).

A lot might come down to what type setup you would be running. I have never used a VFD to know what you have ot have to run it. If there is relays involved I would look into using opto,s if the Brain is used to trigger them. There is no info that I have seen that says you need to do this but I would if I was using relays. If there is a sensor involved it depends on what voltage it uses IMHO. If its a 5v sensor I think it would be OK to use without opto's, all though the manual shows to use opto's with a sensor. Anything above a 5v sensor I would use a opto with it. NOw the power suply that feeds this sensor might have something to do with it. If the sensor (for RPM or possition) that connects to the Brain has a power supply that could short out and feed it more voltage then a opto would be a good safty to have. But if you used the same power supply that feeds the Brain it should be OK. In fact that is the way I would use a sensor in this system, feed it with the same 5v that feeds the Brain that way you want have any high voltage problems and you would not have to have a opto that may effect the sensor signal ability to send signals at high speeds.

To use a VFD I think you need a 0v to 10v signal if I understand right. You might need a DAC board to do this because I believe the brain can send a PWM signal, or a step & dirrection signal, but not a 0v to 10v signal. WIth the DAC card it can do 0v to 10v (plus a few other combonations). So in that case you would not need optos because you really cant hook straight up to the Brain on that part anyway.

Now I am still learning about the Brain and all this electrical stuff so it would be best to get anwsers from others and verify this info. Don't take my word for it in other words. But as I understand it this would make sense to me. Any relays used no matter what voltages are involved I would use optos because there is to much chance of crazy voltages reaching the Brain.

Jess

Thanks for the info Jess.

My system is fairly straight forward. I have the VFD connected directly to my spindle and can control it manually on the VFD if needed. My hi lo shives are controlled separately with solenoid. My VFD takes digital and analog inputs but I'm not sure if it can take PWM or not. I know the CNC Brain has connections to control a VFD so it seems strange that I would have to get an additional DAC board to control it. I know Mach 3 can control a VFD with a simple breakout board.

Anyone else out there have their VFD setup with a Brain???

Just thought I would let everyone know, that Paul (CncAdmin) made a new forum for CncBrain.

This single thread is getting very long.

Here is the link to start new CncBrain threads.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Page 31 of 32 2129303132