586,077 active members*
3,974 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking My first CNC --- JRGO Design

Hello All, This is my first post. After several months of research and several months of talking my wife into letting me build a CNC I finally got it started!!!!
    My first attempt will be based on JRGO's design. I got everything cutout on Saturday, everything messured drilled and tapped on Sunday and Monday and now I am starting to assemble. Im only allowed about 1 hour a night during the weekdays since I have a job and a family to take care of. I have the table assembled and the majority of the gantry assembled. All I have left is to assemble the y and z axis and attach. I will post pics soon.

I have a bunch of questions to ask all you wise people. I am ready to purchase the stepper motors and I was looking a xylotex which seems to be the best price for the buck. Any suggestions or comments about Xylotex? I have a stack of UHMW from work that I was going to use for the anti-backlash nut, has anybody used this or is Delrin the best way to go? I have download a bunch of cad/cam software to test out which seems to be the best they all seem about the same? I am trying to keep this in a 500 dollar budget and so far im doing well, but right now I want to try a freeware product and then when and if I can make back some of my money I will purchase a better software package. Has anybody used a larger router. I have a 1 3/4 hp portercable that I was going to use. I was wondering if it is to powerful and if the vibration my be to much. I also wanted to retro fit a plasma table in the design so I can cut metal. I was going to make a sheetmetal cover to protect the mdf from getting burned. Well one step at a time I guess.

I hope to have the whole thing built by this weekend and have motors purchased by tommorrow and have the whole thing working by next weekend. My wife has a list of projects she wants me to get spit out by x-mas for presents for the family.

Well wish me luck in the next week or so.

If it goes well I have 3 other people at work that want to start there own project.

whats the cutting area? i am building a 2' x 4' and using a 3.25 hp router. i dont think you can ever have to much power, as long as you granty can support the weight

I am building a 2X4 also. I was just wondering because I found a few clips on youtube with this type of machine and they were using dremels and rotozips. Im am pretty sure the weight is fine as I went out in the garage last night and my son who weights about 35lbs was sitting on it as his brother was running the gantry back and forth. I was about to open a can on both there butts. I was more worried about the vibration then anything. what did you decide to use for your anti-backlash nut?

Thanks for the reply

i ordered 1/2" single start acme w/ delrin nots off ebay for the y and z, the x is a rack and pinion