586,071 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Plasma cutters (What should I look out for? )

Plasma cutters (What should I look out for? )

I am considering building a CNC plasma table. What should I look out for when selecting a plasma cutter to mount to the table? Amperage? tip types, durability, etc ?

Regards Benny
    Being outside the square !!!

Many of the larger table manufacturers use a system torch, rather than adapt a hand torch, these can come With electrical shielding and water cooling for high production rate/duty cycle.
    Automatic Height control should also be considered.
    If you decide to use compressed air, it should be kept absolutely dry to lengthen tip life.
    This article offers some insight http://www.thefabricator.com/PlasmaC...le.cfm?ID=1642
    Also, to allow for the ability to cut much thicker material, allowance for Oxy/fuel torch add on could be considered.
    Nesting s/w is a very desirable feature also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Arrow Plasma Cutter Selection

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb View Post
    What should I look out for when selecting a plasma cutter
    Aftermarket supply of consumables (electrodes, nozzles, start cartridges etc.) is an important consideration. Some "import" machines are difficult to find these items for.

Arc initiation with high frequency can cause problems with some CNC set-ups.
    It is often wise to avoid these types of equipment.

Systems that provide arc starting with other methods such as a movable electrode tend to be less troublesome for hobby type applications although some very high quality systems do in fact use HF starting.

Rated machine cutting/piercing capacity should be matched to the range of thicknesses for the applications you have. A 30 amp machine might be suited for artsy light gauge sheet metal cutting but to sever 1/2" steel plate a higher rating is required.

Do these sound too good to be true?
    They both seem to have high frequency arc initiation that might be troublesome with CNC controls.

mmm

I am considering building a CNC plasma table. What should I look out for when selecting a plasma cutter to mount to the table? Amperage? tip types, durability, etc ?

Regards Benny
    I am currently going through this same question myself and after doing a lot of research I have settled on a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 82 (eg Ebay #350099809424).

Reason for this was that it comes fully CNC ready with interface cable and machine torch and it is a very nice unit for sutting what I do and working with my Torchmate Table.

In Australia these will not be released until about November but even with the crappy $$$ you are better off buying from USA and getting it shipped.

Having said that it really depends on what you are planning to do with it and what sort of CNC setup you are going to build.

Not a lot of options in OZ at this stage which is why I imported the Torchmate 1.