586,103 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help - H Frame Shop Press V Die

Where can I purchase a "V" Die to bend 90-degree angles in sheetmetal on my H frame shop press? I'm looking for something like this - http://tinyurl.com/5wqcou I've looked in Enco, MSC, (even harbor freight) to no avail...

Thanks!

John
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I bought something similar that fits in vise jaws. Using that photo, those could easily be fitted to a tool holder that would work in a press.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/sear...q=vise%20brake
    Lee

I'm perplexed... I know these are very common in fabrication shops. Why can't I find them from an online vendor?!? I've seen the Grizzly vice model (Thanks, LeeWay!), but I'm really looking for the purpose-built product.

I bought mine from a guy on eBay. He even designed and built me custom accessories for it. Extremely pleased. I wish he built other tools.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10in-...mZ220280886809

If this one is too small, I bet he will build you any size you need if you ask.

I see he's got one without the plate for squaring a little cheaper.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10in-...d=p3911.c0.m14

Nice looking brake.

I bend tabs in 11, 12 and 13 gage steel, but most of my tabs are too short to use the vice mounted one I have. I have to revert to the old smooth jaw and hammer method.

I thought about making the tabs larger at first and then cutting them off after bending, but that is another step. I guess I am bound to use a hammer. I only have a few dozen bends a week at most though, so not out of control.
    Lee

Sonic - THANKS! This is what I'm looking for! I wonder why these seem so hard to find! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Luckily this eBay fellow appears to have quality stuff, but I'd love to find a vendor that sells a variety of this stuff...

Lee - What's the smooth jaw & hammer method?

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    Sonic - THANKS! This is what I'm looking for! I wonder why these seem so hard to find! Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Luckily this eBay fellow appears to have quality stuff, but I'd love to find a vendor that sells a variety of this stuff...

Lee - What's the smooth jaw & hammer method?

Like a blacksmith in a vise, but without the heat. Tink, tink, tinkity, tink.
    Lee

I was worried that was going to be your answer! I'm looking to bend 16 gauge with a tight radius; a smooth hammer with no heat send shrivels down my spine!

The good thing is they get powder coated afterward, which helps to cover tool marks. It does work for this amount, but anymore would require a different method.
    It isn't really the tab length that prevents me using the vise die's as much as there being a slot on one side of the bend. Since these are milled in already before bending, it makes the part bend incorrectly. Not every time, but often enough that I don't want to do it like that. It is totally ruined if it bends or even starts to bend wrong.
    These images show the bends for some models. Others are smaller and some larger. Some bent the other direction.

Lee

I do use the vise die's to bend some sheet aluminum though. It does a good job. The aluminum is either .063" or .050" thick. Depending on the drops I buy.

They should do well with that thickness of steel too. Pretty tight bends.
    Lee