586,103 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Requirements to run a 4th axis on a Haas.

Requirements to run a 4th axis on a Haas.

I see that there are different listings on the Haas site for Rotary tables, so I'm not sure what to look for. Assuming the machine has been prewired for the fourth axis, what are the other necessary components (not including the design software)?

I see key words like "programmable server control", "built in server control" etc, etc. Can someone give me a quick tutorial on what's what with this configuration.

Thanks

If the machine is prewired and has the option turned on, the only thing you need is a compatible rotary product from Haas.

They have two families of rotaries: Brush (older) and Brushless.

The Brush rotaries have a single cable. If your mill has one "4th axis" connector on the side of the cabinet, it's wired for a brush-type rotary.

The Brushless rotaries have a two cable system. As you probably guessed: if you have two connectors, side-by-side on the cabinet, you need a brushless rotary.

There are advantages to both. The biggest advantage to a brush type is that there are more used ones out there. A lot of people upgraded their mills over the years and the rotaries got upgraded to brushless at the same time. The good news is that there are lots of very clean rotaries out there because not everybody has continuous 4-axis work.

Yes, a brush-type rotary can be fitted to a newer--brushless machine. It requires an adapter transformer and wiring harness that I understand costs around $1000. That additional cost could just as easily could be applied toward a newer rotary so I'd stay within whatever your machine is pre-wired for.

The external control boxes are for machines that don't have internal wiring for a 4th or 5th axis. I have internal 4th but I also have an external control box so I can do semi-5th axis work (5 axis positioning but not continuous 5-axis motion).

There is one additional type out there that I don't think is compatible with any of the mills: the really old S5C indexer. That one has to be used with it's own control box.
    Greg

Thanks for that info.

Did Haas go to a standard brushless setup? If so, do you know the year?

I'm currently looking at a 2003 VF3, I don't have any 4th axis details on the machine except that is has been prewired. I obviously would not run out and buy a rotary table until I purchased a machine and had all the details, I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around as much information as possible.

I don't know when the actual rotaries went brushless but a 'year' won't tell you much. The machines were available wired either way. My 2004 VF-2 is wired for a Brush Rotary because that's what I had when I ordered it (brushless was the standard way the option was shipped). You'd have to look at the specific machine for whether it's single or two cable wiring.
    Greg

Thanks again.