586,043 active members*
3,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Haas DXF Import

Anyone get a chance to see the beta of the Haas DXF import at IMTS? If so, any thoughts?

I didn't go to IMTS and I won't wait until Westec. Tell us about it or we take Gene Saltis hostage.

I'm guessing that it's some kind of utility that will convert a DXF into a 2D cutter path, with predetermined retraction strokes, turning a GR series machine into something like a Gerber cutter. Am I close? I think that would be a great product.

Do I win a prize or do we capture your training manager?
    Greg

This new feature, due to be released around the first of the year, will allow you to open a DXF file on the Haas control and apply tool path to the geometry in the file, such as cut a contour, pocket milling, and drilling. It allows you to select tools, speed and feeds and other cutting parameters (depth-width of cut, step increment, etc.).

will it be available for lathes ? even if , I don`t know if it helps , the simulation in haas machines is still stone age - especially in lathes could be better.

Current plans are for Mill's. We do not have any plans for a lathe release right now.
    Have you seen the soon to be released "Live Image", due to release late this month or next month? It has far better graphics than the "stone age" graphics. Live image will only be released on lathe for now.

Can this be retrofitted to an older machine, say an 05 VF4?

I don't have a need for it but I can see how that would be very useful to some users and could expand the Haas control into other markets. I'm guessing that you guys did it to make the sheet router and gantry router more appealing to the wood and plastics markets. No need for a CAM program. Export a DXF from a 2D drawing program and cut the outlines.

Very cool.
    Greg

Laser

A friend of mine sent me a YouTube video on Laser burner that would be suitable for making award plaques etc. The one shown in the video was burning/etching wood.

Not to get too far off subject, but does anyone make or have plans for a laser that could be easily attached to the quill of say a HAAS TM-1P.

If that were possible then would this software be of value in etching designs in various materials with a laser?

This is probably more complicated than it seems.

If this is too far off subject please send me a personal message with any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

John

We saw the DXF demo at IMTS, and it was interesting enough, although there were a few bugs (they said they will be fixed before release). I question how useful this will be, though, for less than perfectly clean chains - we often work from DXF, and they usually take some cleanup in CAD or CAM before toolpathing. Don't know if the onboard Haas software would be able to do this, and the demo guy didn't, either.

Haas_Apps - We also saw the lathe software improvements demo'd on a TL, and were VERY impressed with that - much more intuitive than previous version of IPS for lathe. Of course software features are constantly being tweaked / improved, but this info is not to be found on the Haas website - I think they could do a better job of showing the latest & greatest there, as not all are fortunate enough to attend the trade shows. The datasheet & video on the toolroom lathe section of the Haas site right now show the software as it was when the TL series was first released.

HeliJohn - Haas offered a laser machine, for engraving / light cutting, a few (maybe 5-7?) years ago. They offered it on a MiniMill & VF3 base, if I remember correctly. The did some test work for us at the time in various plastics, and we were generally disappointed. I assume others were as well - the laser machines went away soon after release. Don't know of anyone who offers a retrofit, but a laser machine (or waterjet, or EDM) would need the same clean geometry as a mill. Our Flow waterjet regularly chokes on direct DXF input, and we have to clean the geo up on CAD.

Ed

Re: the old Haas laser, found this press release online, dated August 2002:

http://www.ipnews.com/archives/laser...haas_laser.htm

Ed

Help

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for the information.

John

RE: Lasers
    I understood that there were very, very few customers and the laser system was supplied by a third party. The laser was supposedly not very good and when it broke, Haas was stuck in the middle--unable to provide their expected level of service and minimal downtime. There may have also been a problem getting 'normal' service techs certified to work on lasers.

RE: DXF
    No, the DXF import might not willingly accept a customer's flawed DXF file, but what if you were the creator of the DXF? 2D drawing software is much cheaper and easier to learn than the most basic CAM system.

A sign company can't afford Mastercam and a $100K gantry mill for plastic signs. Now they could buy a box-store drawing program and a $36K SR-100. It opens up a whole bunch of low-end and entry-level markets.
    Greg

Good point, Donkey, low end CAD (small $$) to handle DXF creation & editing would suppliment the new Haas DXF toolpathing ability very well. People looking at this way of doing things just need to be sure to get a CAD package capable of DXF import / export (it's optional on some).

And John, you're welcome. If I were looking at doing laser engraving, I think I'd look elsewhere, as opposed to converting a Haas TM. There are some great dedicated laser engravers out there, though I have no personal experience with them. Engraving jobs eventually would demand, though, capabilities beyond vector graphics (CAD, CAM, DXF). You would probably find you need also raster (pixilated) graphic input, and software (Corel, PhotoShop, etc.) to handle these, as well.

Ed

Lasers

Hi Ed,

I guess one of my original thoughts is true.

This is probably more complicated than it seems.
    I was thinking "MAYBE" it would be possible to attach a small laser to the spindle to logo parts.

Oh Well, so much for that idea.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    Anyone get a chance to see the beta of the Haas DXF import at IMTS? If so, any thoughts?
    Didn't go to IMTS, but will it be able to handle splines?

Good question, they didn't have any splines on the demo at IMTS, pretty simple lines & arcs. Haas_Apps, care to weigh in on some of this?

Ed

Okay, here is the answer to some of your questions.
    1. You will not be able to upgrade your '05 machine. It will require the latest sw/hw.
    2. Please remember that the sofware we demonstrated at IMTS is a beta and did have some bugs. We have a target release date of the first of the year.
    3. No you can not import splines. I was able to convert some splines to lines and arcs and then import it into the control.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

next question is : where (when) can I see it (online ) I`m from europe and IMTS is far far away from me .

DXF Video

Quote Originally Posted by pit202 View Post
    next question is : where (when) can I see it (online ) I`m from europe and IMTS is far far away from me .
    I'll see what I can do to get a video on line in the next month. I can't make any promises. If I get it produced and posted I will post a link here.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    3. No you can not import splines. I was able to convert some splines to lines and arcs and then import it into the control.
    I know that it's no simple task to do arc evaluation/replacement or spline-line conversion in the control but I think you guys should reconsider that capability if the intent was to expand the router market (as I guessed earlier). Just do low resolution conversion and advertise it that way. That's a pretty severe limitation when you consider that text or other artwork may be exported from things like Photoshop or Illustrator, into other drawing programs, then sent to the mill.

I think it would be worth it in the long-run for Haas. That SR-100 would bulldoze its way into all kinds of new markets--the way that the GR series got into counter tops and cabinetry. Every sign maker out there would have to have your machine.

They won't want to be hassled with needing to convert text into arcs & lines (I've done it). They'd want to be able to type, "896@&SRQ" into their drawing program, save it to a USB, then cut the letters out, two-feet high on their router. Demonstrate that with nothing but a $300 drawing program and the routers will seem like cheap money to signmakers.

Well...that's my opinion anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12