586,072 active members*
4,681 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > Needs Help... building CNC foam Cutting Machine

Needs Help... building CNC foam Cutting Machine

Hi,

I am a newbie, I am in the process of building a CNC foam cutting machine based on the www.8linx.com design, However I got stuck where it came to build a circuit which controls the stepper motors.

I have seen lot of 2 axis drivers (Kits) which can only accept 2 motors, However I need to attach 4 motor, 2 for each axis.

I dont have much electronincs knowledge as I am from IT background(Software Developer) hence anyone who can guide me on what sholud I do to build such a circuit.

javagreen,

You'll need a 4 axis controller board. One of the most popular on the foam cutting machines here in the US is the HOBBYCNC Foam PRO driver board. Look here for more info... http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/foa...ver-board-kit/

Senna

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Hi,

I am a newbie, I am in the process of building a CNC foam cutting machine based on the www.8linx.com design, However I got stuck where it came to build a circuit which controls the stepper motors.

I have seen lot of 2 axis drivers (Kits) which can only accept 2 motors, However I need to attach 4 motor, 2 for each axis.

I dont have much electronincs knowledge as I am from IT background(Software Developer) hence anyone who can guide me on what sholud I do to build such a circuit.
    Look at here
    http://www.kelinginc.net/ControlSystem.html for our package

hi,

Thanks for your reply, However I am from India and these people dosnt ship to India.

I there any way to build the circuit/drivers at home???

Phil aka PMINMO has a site that will lead you to several good ideas. Search fos a post of his and then check his profile - should get you there too.
    Welcome to the CNCZONE!
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Wink Mechatronix 3 and 4 axis driver

You can buy a fantastic 3 or 4 axis driver board from www.easy-cnc.com. They ship worldwide. It is compatible with almost all the cnc software out there (Mach2, Mach3, KCam, Foamworks, etc.)
    The support is great.

RGDS

PEMO

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    hi,

Thanks for your reply, However I am from India and these people dosnt ship to India.

I there any way to build the circuit/drivers at home???

Hi Sir

We do the international shipping
    www.kelinginc.net

Hi everyone,

I got the 4-axis board and motor drivers from local market here in India.

I have attached two images 1) 4-axis board 2) stepper motor driver for 1 motor, I have four of them (4 boards and 4 motors)

However as I am not very techinical, I need help to connect those two boards with each other.

1) I need to know where should I connect the power supply
    2) I need to know where should to know where should I connect the motor

The only thing I know is connecting the 4-axis board via parallel port.

Also My bipolar stepper motor has 6 wires 1-black, 1-red, 1-half red half white, 1-half green half white, 1-white, 1-green.

Help me with the connections please as I am confused.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5f958f76680d188b6dd3f5ebbc990970_image_515x600.jpg   2bb5e9cc43f4bda06b2961ad6efb9441_image_600x300.jpg  

didnt these board come with connection ribbon cables? it will be easier to interface them with those cables. you will notice the 4 ribbon connections on the lower right of your first picture. these connect to each of your driver boards at the white connection on the second picture. Also can you send us he schematics or docs that came with each of these?

I have recieved a small cord which has 8 wires which connects to the driver board on the white pins section, However other end is loose i.e. that cord has a pin to conect to the driver board and other end has loose 8 wires.

Here I have attached the schematics.

Please reply in such a way that I am novice to understand.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hey people,

I was able to complete all the connections on my own, however I am able to control the motors partially through PC.

I can start the X axis motor in one direction and later cannot reverse or stop it using foamworks, desk CNC or mach 3 software.

I have 2 wires left from the driver board (1-for HOME and 2-for HALF/FULL), and all others are connected as follows :

Driver Board 4-axis Board
    EN......................EN
    RST and DIR.........DIR
    OSC and CLK........STEP
    GND....................GND

But cannot understand where should I connect HOME and HALF/FULL.

I need help ....please reply asap