586,089 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flatbed cutting plotter for packaging

Hi all,

I have been following many builds on this forum for the past year and never came across the machine I want to build.

I want to build a basic x y axis table and need to build a head with 2 tools. I need to cut and crease or cut and kiss cut cardboard for packaging sample. so the head must have 2 tools. I have seen machines with pneumatic heads.

Any ideas or references on how to build the head and a controler for the head.

Thanks

I'm no expert on cutting and creasing packaging materials but I do know that the dies for doing these operations are very simple and cost less than than €200/$160 to get made so why would you bother? Only advantage I can see is that a digitally controlled machine could do it there and then. If you are determined to continue along this route then I would suggest a gantry type machine with two independant heads, probably in line with each other, forward and behind of the gantry. Check out Ger21's two headed machine he's building or has built. I'd imagine the creaser would use a pizza cutter style wheel but due to its size it would probably have to be controlled in the rotary axis (Zeta?) which then drives cost up substantially. I couldn't imagine a trailing wheel (same principal as trailing blade vinyl cutter) working properly due to its size. The cutting head is another problem also because the material being cut is double wall corrugated cardboard in varying thicknesses which probably precludes trailing knife blade mechanism. Maybe a machine with just one head (rotary axis controlled, pizza cutter style wheel) could be used and just vary the downward pressure to differentiate between cutting and creasing. The negative of this is to cut an internal corner. The stop point for the vertical axis of the wheel when stopping at the correct point in a corner is not the same point as the corner itself and therefore needs software compensation (a bit like tool diameter compensation with a router). In the end you think, just use standard cheap custom dies for each job.

Sounds like an interesting project. It sounds like you could use a pair of solenoids - one for each - cutter/creaser. If we figure out how to program a solenoid (your 2 ) in something like Mach3 then you'd have it! Easy-peasy. And an interesting large format sticker cutter! Being able to change out/mount differing tools to the solenoid would be useful - something eaasily adapted from existing joining bits.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thanks for your replies.

Skippy:
    You are 100% correct. The dies are cheap and to be honest I have seen these type of cnc cutting/creasing table working and you cannot compare the speed of cutting with the trusty dies on a platen press. On commercial cnc machines speed wise you would cut approx 20 pcs a minute and with a old $2000 heidelberg platen press with a $50 die you could cut approx 200pcs a minute.

The disadvantages of the old dies on a platen is setup time and the wastage of material.
    The disadvantage of the cnc would only be the speed.

I need a cnc table to cut samples of new designs and to cut small runs.

www.agcad.co.uk is the setup i was considering until i found out the price $56000 includes the cnc table and 3d modeling software. its an awsome setup but a bit expensive for something that would be used mainly for sample cutting.

I am basically trying to find out how i can get two tools. It must use the first tool which would be the creasing tool and complete all the creasing and then change over to the cutting tool and then complete all the cutting.

The cutting tool would be either a tangential cutting that must move up and down very fast or a drag knife.

The creasing tool would be either a wheel (pizza cutter) or a drag knife that cuts half way into the material.

I would imagine that all these tools would be on a bearing and direction of the tool would change with the movement of the gantry

So I walk into my local laser cutting place today and see what on previously visits I had assumed to be a flat bed vinyl cutter and plotter. On closer inspection today I noticed it is a Zund brand machine specifically for doing prototype cardboard work for the packaging industry. It does cutting, scoring, and creasing and has a vacuum bed. Cutting by knife and creasing by pizza cutter wheel.
    I see that one of Agcad first customers were from South Africa. I wonder if any of the Asian firms have produced a machine of this type yet?

Hi there,

I think you are looking for something, like this:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW6JQ8D-780"]YouTube- Ploter do ciÄ™cia i bigowania tektury, gumy, pianek, skà³r,...[/ame]

I will prepare my own construction of such plotter in 3-4 weeks, and show on this forum.

Greetings from Poland.

so is there away to make mach3 to operate a plunger to move the the knife around i'm looking a building a cnc for a mat cutter for a pictue framing i didn't know if i can make mack 3 do what i what.

Using Mach 3 for this purpose is heavy since you need to prepare special g-codes for tangential knive steerage. The guy from the movie above uses WinPC-NC (it's German make steerage programm and steerage system). This system got automatic conversion of vector direction (and angle) into certain g-codes.

do you have the name of that tangential knive steerage program. or how to convert the g code to do knive cutting on mack 3

I have told you already - WinPC-NC.

No, I do not know how to convert such g-codes for mach3.

Thom carr has a glass cutter for Mach 3 with Tangential knife control. Its a post processor for mach 3 for tangential knife cutting.

president

Quote Originally Posted by rakus View Post
    Hi there,

YouTube- Ploter do ciÄ™cia i bigowania tektury, gumy, pianek, skà³r,...

I will prepare my own construction of such plotter in 3-4 weeks, and show on this forum.

Greetings from Poland.
    WHAT SIZES ARE YOUR TABLES. HOW MUCH AIR IS NEEDED. CAN ARTOIS PROGRAM RUN YOUR TABLE. WHAT ARE YOUR COST. WHAT KIND OF MANTINENCE REQUIRED. WARRANTY IF ANY

Quote Originally Posted by rakus View Post
    Hi there,

YouTube- Ploter do ciÄ™cia i bigowania tektury, gumy, pianek, skà³r,...

Greetings from Poland.
    WHAT ARE YOUR TABLE SIZES. HOW MUCH AIR NEEDED. NEED COST OF TABLE SIZE OF ABOUT 45 X 60. WARRANITY IF ANY. IT WILL CREASE CORRAGATED. THANKS

The table sizes are on customer demands. I made this machine with 1500x2000 mm (about 60x79 inch) table - effective worksize. Machine has 75 mm clearance in Z axis. User can use 3 different types of head: vibrating tangential knife, simple router or "dragged knife" - suchlike in cutting plotters.

Suction table needs a suction system. I use specialized fan with 150 m3/h performance.

Warranty - 1 year in Europe.

Regards, Piotr

Some of the movies:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KAPBbIZJfY"]LYNX VIBRO cutting 2 mm corrugated[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7J_XOJ3mQ"]LYNX VIBRO cutting 5 mm thick leather using tangential knife[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bcVgaQ3fPs"]LYNX VIBRO Routing relief in chipboard (from bitmap)[/ame]

CUTCNC Guest
    Each die cut mould need $200/ $160, if you need to make so many types of packaing, or you customer do not satisfactory with the sample, you need to change the design, and make anthoer die cut, So, it will cost much monrey and time to make a sample. If you have a machine, you can make it in few minites and easy to change the design. Our flatbed cutter for packaging for you reference. Maybe you can get some idea.

Spare parts for cutting ploters / cutters

Welcome to gw-systems company.

gw-systems is mainly involved in the distribution of supplies for automatic cutting machines - knives, mats, conyoyers belt, brush and stones to Zünd Wild, Humantec, Blackman and White, Bullmer, Gerber, Kūris, Lectra etc.

Our products distinguished by value for money. We supply only the best quality materials and our customers are from all over the world.

We invite you to contact us.

GW-SYSTEMS Poland
    48-200 Prudnik
    Głowackiego str. 16

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: Kompleksowe rozwiazania dla przemyslu

Telefon/Phone: PL,EN : +48 532 530 003
    Telefon/Phone: PL,DE : +48 532 530 004