586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which tools to get?

I'm shopping for decent set of cutters, seems like Glanze get's good reviews, but kit from Grizzly does not have threading tool.

I don't want to learn how to sharpen tools, or should I?

What are good websites to get smaller tools? I'm looking for 5/16 as my first set.

Thanks!
    Ivan

Which tools?

First question is "What do you wish to cut"?? If you're planning on cutting HARD material, go with carbide, if you're looking for general purpose cutters, I prefer tool steel because I can get a better finish than with carbide.

Carbide DOES have a place - there are materials that'll dull tool steel in a flash that carbide will just happily cut through!

For general purpose work - and especially thread cutting, I almost always use tool steel! Several years ago, I came across a jig advertised in Home Shop Machinist called the "DIAMOND tool holder". I think it cost me about $110.00. It was worth EVERY PENNY!!! It comes with a 1/4" tool bit holder and a grinding jig that makes it a snap to grind a toolbit for general purpose work and threading. The result is a razor sharp edge that I had trouble getting when sharpening by hand. When I say "a snap", I'm talking about sharpening a thread-cutting bit to an exact 60 deg. profile in less than a minute! As a result, I always sharpen my bit right before cutting a thread. In the past, I'd try to limp along by touching up my cutter and hope I wouldn't get too much swarf! You might want to take a look - I think they still advertise in HSM!

Good luck!
    Dennis

Hello, it's hard to go wrong with a set of Glanze, if you find a set you like I'd say "go for it". I got an inexpensive set of carbide indexable holders from Griz several months ago, and I am perfectly happy with these. This one uses TCMT 315x's , a common size; I'd recommend either these or the ones that use tcmt 215x for the 7x machine. I have actually used these triangular inserts to cut threads as well, and got acceptably good results.
    Carbide or HSS? A home shop can and should have both, as there are areas where they each have a place. Learning to grind tools is an art, and should be learned, but it can be frustrating for a beginner to master this. Carbide can give great results immediately, if used properly. The main thing I would recommend a beginner avoiding is the brazed carbide tools. These are mostly negative rake and are all WRONG for the low-powered shop lathes.
    And, contrary to popular belief, TCMT carbide is capable of giving an outstanding surface finish. The trick is finding the proper speed and feed. I learned on my 8x lathe that running around 300rpm I can rip off a large chunk of stock, with no chatter, but rough finish. Then, I simply increase speed to around 600 rpm and take a light cut --.005 or less--and viola, the finish is almost as smooth as a spanked baby's bottom.
    So, don't be afraid to take good advice, but feel free to experiment some too, it's surprising what you can learn sometimes.
    lathesmith

My immediate needs to make some studs (steel) and some adapters to press in/out bushings. I guess it's harder stuff. Aluminum? Maybe, but I don't have immediate need for that. So, for now I'd say steel will be main material.

I have 9x19 lathe btw.

So, grinder and HSS or Glanze (but no threading tools )
    I'd like to stay away from grinding.

And I'm sure I can get acceptable results with indexable tools and always use sandpaper, etc to finish piece off.

Quote Originally Posted by djmurray View Post
    Several years ago, I came across a jig advertised in Home Shop Machinist called the "DIAMOND tool holder". I think it cost me about $110.00. It was worth EVERY PENNY!!!

Good luck!
    Dennis

Would this be it, Dennis?

http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave->..