586,307 active members*
3,235 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > How do i pick the best post processor?

How do i pick the best post processor?

Hey everyone,

Very new to CNC and have been slowly learning about post processing. im becoming familiar with their various functions but can anyone explain some of the thinking behind selecting a certain post processor for a specific job? Thanks alot!
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Are you perhaps asking about which CAM software to use for a particular job? Post-processors (often abbreviated to posts) are usually specific to the CAM software you use and might also be specific to the machine you are using to make the parts.

If my assumption is true, some time spent in Wiki or browsing threads here might be beneficial.

Mike

You don't pick a "best" post processor, you pick the one that matches the operating system on your CNC machine. There are many many variations of Posts as people quite often want different features in their programs; some people like having the first tool of the program pre-loaded into spindle at the end of a program, others prefer a specific probe.

Generally speaking once you select an appropriate post for you machine, you dont change it, unless you have a couple of special posts for different types of jobs.

I have two posts for my machines, one that I use for prototyping work and one that I use on production based programs. Only subtle differences but a lot of effort has been put into shave time off production posts.