586,106 active members*
3,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Series 1 MK 2 retrofit

Hello Has anyone retrofitted a Bridgeport series 1 MK2 and used the spindle speed function to control the DC drive board, as I looking to get one of these machines to transfer my Ajax Dos based system from a Bridgeport series 1 CNC was a Boss 5, it has been very reliable machine but it is showing some wear in the ballnuts. I can have these reballed but for the same price I,m hoping to get a Series 1 Mk2 which is without the Heidenhien control but has got the spindle drive complete. So if the Ajax moderator is watching can you tell me if it is just a case of a different PLC for the spindle control. Look forward to your replies Cheers Colin

It looks like you are on your own as far as the Heidenhain DC spindle drive is concerned.

The Centroid PLC unit will provide relay closures for Run Forward, Run Reverse, and Fault Reset, plus a 0-10V analog speed signal. It can accept either a normally-open or normally-closed Fault signal back from the spindle drive.

You will have to find out whether your spindle drive can accept these control signals. Do you have any documentation on the unit?

You will also have to make sure you have the "Programmable spindle speed" option enabled in your control software. That has been standard in recent years, at least on Centroid-branded factory controls. It used to be extra-cost. I don't know whether Ajax charged extra for it at the time you bought your control. Check the option list on the Utility menu to find out: F7/Utility, F8/Options.