4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Technology and settings Fanuc W0

Hello All,

Im new to EDM and struggling a little:

Fanuc W0 tape cut, non submerged.

my question as i cant find answers anywhere else is:

second cuts (skim cuts) are they the same?
    what settings do you alter to take such a cut and gain a greater finish?
    I reduced flushing, increased on time but the feed tore away at speed when i expect a slower cut. the initial cut was configured in AUTO. i notice there is a second cut Coulomb which is currently at zero!

another problem i have had is wire breaks when retracing an already cut path on first cut technology, the cut always shows white/blue, feed override turned down as with flushing and off time up!!!

is there not any charts out there for base settings? if not charts as all power supplies differ then guidelines! i bought the manuals and technology book but little or nothing past what feed to expect and first cut tech' for various thicknesses upto 150mm in tool steel. i am to book training but as so green i feel the need to have a basic understanding so as to soak up the knowledge when time allows.

sorry for the basic questions.
    Chris.

Hummmmm.
    First I use .012 wire first offset .010 ON TIME 8
    OFF TIME 9
    NO LOAD VOLTAGE 7
    SERVO VOLTAGE 16
    WIRE TENSION 600
    WATER 15
    WIRE SPEED 7
    Second cut second offset .007
    on 7
    off 12
    no load 6
    sv 16
    ten 2500
    Third cut on 5 third offset .0062
    off 5
    no load 5
    sv 16

Thank you for the fast response.

My W0 has auto for EDM settings.
    if i am to sellect:

SKD11
    16mm thick
    0.25mm wire

the following settings are thrown up:

No load V 7,
    Capacitor 8,
    On 7,
    Off 24,
    Servo V 17,
    Tension 1000g,
    Wire feed 4.

secondly where do i go to set the skim cuts, is there a dedicated page?

Cheers,
    Chris.

Skim cuts ? 1 rough cut 2 pass 3 pass ? This is done with offsets . The auto cut settings can be modified . Do you have the tape with the cut settings on it ....My machine is missing the settings tape. Can you back it up on floppy.? I had one machine once that had the settings in it. Machine went down and the settings get lost , so you would have to enter them manually . This is how I have been cutting ever since. You should have a punched control tape with edm settings on it .Sure would love a copy.

Hello.

OK then, several passes with different offsets!
    i can manage that and have done.
    i have been altering the off time manually as cutting.
    its knowing how to set the technology and tell the machine its a finish pass so as not to run off at high feed as has done on second pass.

the technology book shows nothing on second cut settings.

i have the tape still in the yellow box as supplied (if this is the correct one).
    i am to be having an on site training day so will approach this and see what it contains. then i want the chap to post all within via DNC to PC as my own backup. i will then be in a position to help you out with this.

Chris.

Thanks... All you need to know is higher on time has more intense current , same with gap voltage.....higher off time will slow machine down less pulses per second . The servo voltage is ment to mantain constant feed ...The higher the number the slower machine moves. When I go from a rough cut to skim I only change on,off and voltage , tension....I allways run servovoltage around 16 unless I have problems....With my settings I can cut .125 per min in a 1.5 tall block.....What year is your machine...?

Hi,

my machine is 1991 and very clean, very lucky to find it and cheep but as with everything the tooling and setup has cost me spread over 14 months of picking up pieces.

i have just looked at the tick-tape for you, has the yellow Fanuc sticker on and part number P919W0463 Parameters Tape Date:1991-10.

do you think this might have some EDM settings?

i have a wire seat with OneCNC so a DNC connection i can upload all base settings and parameters once this has been achieved. i am sure you understand this is not what i want to do myself at this stage in my long learning ladder! but i will be booking training in the next couple of weeks.

we will probably need to exchange email for to send a zipped file nearer the time.

i have asked questions in the past maybe like what i ask now and there are no definite answers? like what materials group within Japanese standard SKD11? NO answers found

looked all over the net for base Tech settings. there must be some!!!

do you have an auxiliary flush connection to aid external starts? if so where in the plumbing is this taken from so as not to disrupt normal flushing?

Sorry to bombard you,
    Chris.

What I do is turn the off time to 25 and turn down my on time one notch. Once the flush cup is completly on the work piece I lower the off time to 15 , then I try to bump the on time to 8 . Once the cut stabelizies I put the off time to 9 or soo .It is diffuclut cutting from the edge with a surface flush machine..As long as you turn down the settings to get going , it wont break the wire to offten . The tape you have is the machine parameters , it might have the edm settings on it I dont know...I have owned three different fanuc/Elox Edms Never have I had one with the tape. First thing I do when I get one running is hand copy the parameters from machine memory . That way if you have to dump the machine memory you have a hard copy.Teck files for old Elox/Fanucs are no where to be found.Hand copy all you teck edm data. There should have been a seperate tap for edm settings . If your batteries go dead you will lose all the settings.These machines have the basic parameters stored on the eprom chips on the main board , but not the edm data.Replace the batteries once a year [ with the machine on ] ...Never open the battery door with machine off. You will lose everything. Good luck trying to find someone to set it up . Elox has been out of Business for 20 years or so Fanuc will help but will cost big money .And have limited experince .

Good Morning,

Thank you for the advise i will try what you are telling me.
    we are well supported over here, parts and help all on tap. good machines can be found at EDM services for one and tmsedm have all you need in stock.
    i even bought new manuals and Technology book but Fanuc translate bad to execute key commands and say nothing on what i ask!
    i have already an engineer lined up for the training who is well up on these machines, he has helped very well over the phone a few times without fail so in return i buy items from him so not one way traffic but i have needed to find my way around Fanuc before training.
    i emailed him last night putting it to him EDM data may be on a tape as with parameters, lets see what he comes up with.

how come you have had several of these machines rather than have several?

Would we not be better off with submerged for such as external start and UV movement?

what is the advantage of non submerged?

Chris.

I have a business called A.V. Tooling ....I started in ElPaso Texas in 1999 I started with a modle O . It had a 6m control it was a good machine with color graphics..But it is kind of small.I needed a bigger machine so I got a modle L , that was bigger it had a 6mb control .In 2005 the company I worked for full time closed its doors{Seimens} I went to work for H.P.I. They sut down a year latter I still had A.V,Tooling on the side but did not make enough money to be self sufficent .So I sold my wire machines and my eurospark 740 sinker and the house put the rest of my equipment in storage .Got a job 850 miles east .Houston Texas.Six months later I got a good deal on a 1989 modle O with a OM-A CONTROL,still trying to get side work , but at least I have a full time job.I have called Fanuc trying to get a parameter tape for my machine no luck, also tried to get drawings for machine they have them but refuse to sell them to me.I pretty sure after Elox shut down Pratt and Whitney to over edm production for a while[ hench the w series of machines] After that Fanuc got the rights for the wire machines.I can get machine manuals but that is about it .....And yes submerged would be great but the machines dont do submerged....

Hi,

you sound like you will always be OK as driven and not perturbed by diversification.
    was expecting there to have been terminal problems with boards and drives so with being earlier machines it was easier and cheaper to seek a new one so i was fishing down that line.
    i have an engineering company, mainly sub con.
    the amount of wire and sinking work with MOD and Nuclear fuels we out source drove me to personally seek and educate down this road. i bought the W0 and soon after a couple off Hurco 580 sinkers (1 for spares).
    dependant on time and work load i intended to move to W2, larger or even newer so there was my reason for quizzing on submerged over non.

I'm surprised that you struggle with parts and backup with Fanuc as we appear to be well served though i have bought the OD Sunspot and 3R item from your side of the water, cheaper even with carriage and taxes!

Chris.

Chris let me ask who would you call for a Fanuc parameter tape..?Could you please give me there contact information...? thanks

Hi,

Been away so just got your post and had word back from my people regarding back up and availability.
    we seem to be failing so what i have here is now very precious.
    i will back up all i have when going through on site training.
    your very welcome to a copy.

i will contact another source myself, a dealer who has a few of these but as i dont know them they may not respond or a morgage may be needed!

Its not a problem I have remade my parameter list . The machine retains the basics parameters in its memory .....even if batteries die.....The only problem is putting in the missing ones....So if you have a hand written back up , no problem. I have been told that Fanuc dose have copies the problem is that they are in Japan , and no one will spend the time to track down the information. Just thought you had a inside guy.....That is what is needed...