586,116 active members*
3,355 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > mounting motors and adjustable collet

mounting motors and adjustable collet

hey guys, feel free to (nuts) if this has been discussed before, im a bit of retard with the search tool.

im having some issues with the mounting of my NEMA23 motors, i cannot work out how to do it, there are 4 threaded bosses in the corners of the motor, but i cannot find a screw or bolt to match the thread, its smaller than 1/8" its not metric what could it be (its a LIN engineering motor BTW)? has anyone else come up with a way to mount a 23 size motor with out too much mucking around?

also does anyone know if there is a drill chuck style thingy (adjustable collet) that i can put in the collet of the router that will be able to stand minimum 20k RPM? i dont wanna be limited to drilling 1/4" and 8mm holes wanna be able to drill from 2-8 at the least same goes for routing dont really wanna be using a 1/4" end mill to flatten a block of aluminium

cheers
    luke

I would drill the holes to 5/32" and use a 6-32 or 8-32 screw and nut. Don't do this if you are concerned about warranty. My NEMA23 motors came with clearance holes. You can also just use a screw size that will pass through the threads and use a nut.

I have seen comments about one that was available but it has too much run-out. A lot of the newer routers have 1/2" capability )if you are itching to buy a new router) and come with a 1/4" collet reducer. A good machinist can make you a simple compression type insert to get the 1/8" bits to fit the 1/4" collet.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    I would drill the holes to 5/32" and use a 6-32 or 8-32 screw and nut. Don't do this if you are concerned about warranty. My NEMA23 motors came with clearance holes.

I have seen comments about one that was available but it has too much run-out. A lot of the newer routers have 1/2" capability )if you are itching to buy a new router) and come with a 1/4" collet reducer. A good machinist can make you a simple compression type insert to get the 1/8" bits to fit the 1/4" collet.

CarveOne
    thats what i thought i have to do with the holes, ill drill em metric cos i have metric taps and dies

i have an ozito (bunnings brand they are **** but cheap) laminate trimmer for the CNC, and it has the 8mm and 1/4" collet, i dont think my machine will allow a 1/2" router given the size of most of them, i sat my hitachi TR12 next to the cradle and it would be a VERY tight fit.

just hoping for a easy solution to the drilling issue, thinking about it i dont recon i would use the 'drill chuck' for anything other than drilling and i guess it would ok be for pilot holes and drill the hole proper size on the drill press, or just find a tiny end mill with 1/8" shank to do any holes?

If you use a Porter-Cable router PreciseBits can sell you ultra precision collets and balanced collet nuts for 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" shank tools. They also sell very high quality 1/8" shank micro tools. Try measuring a 690 body out of it's base. they aren't that big.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Quote Originally Posted by skiddz View Post
    im having some issues with the mounting of my NEMA23 motors, i cannot work out how to do it, there are 4 threaded bosses in the corners of the motor, but i cannot find a screw or bolt to match the thread, its smaller than 1/8" its not metric what could it be (its a LIN engineering motor BTW)? has anyone else come up with a way to mount a 23 size motor with out too much mucking around?
    Quite possible that is US #6-32, that does seem a bit small for a NEMA 23 motor.
    The majority of motors I have used have had a clearance hole and a through bolt or a thread is used on the motor mount side.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.