586,283 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone have a minitech mill?
Page 1 of 4 123

Anyone have a minitech mill?

These look really good http://www.minitech.com/index.htm any here have one how do you like it?

Hello everyone,

I own a Mini Mill 4 from Minitech... and I don't know how I ever got along without it in my model engineering shop. This machine and my spin caster are the back bones of my facility.

It is truly versatile, the head can be used as a horizontal mill or vertical mill, and can also be used as a chucker lathe.

I normally use it for micro-machining operations, but will be using it soon to cut some steel prototypes on a new tool we are developing.

The ball-screw option is worth it, as well as the linear slides. This alone makes this mill stand out from the other benchtop machines.

There's a guy named Jack who works there, he'll go out of his way to find a cost-effective solution for your needs. I've already decided his company will be our supplier of benchtop machines for years to come.

Nice meeting everyone here,

Jason - (my username is normally rustyclockwork, but I guess this site has a limit on characters)

chip sweeper.... nice.

I have an older version mini-mill /2. Its built like a tank with 1/2 round slides and bronze bushings. The original spindle was setup for a router with a flexible shaft about 10" long. This made the cut very chattery due to the windup of the shaft. I have since modified my maxnc spindle and motor to fit on the mini-mill and have had excellent results. I would recomend the machine to anyone and im sure the newer versions are lightyears ahead of what I have.

I have a Mini Mill 3 on order to replace my Sherline. I hope to have it next week. If anyone is in the market for a small mill, I strongly suggest that you contact them.

Jack (owner) he has worked quite extensively with me to customize my order. There are several options that aren't listed on their website. I was able to get my machine without spindle & motor (Sherline spindle will bolt right on) and they are providing a 10 amp DenverCNC controller (with Geckos). This combination cost quite a bit less than the package quoted on their website.

I visited a company called Charles & Colvard last week that has 18 Mini Mill 3s. They have been running 12 of these mills eight hours/day since 1998 without any failure. (except they've lost 5-6 steppers from coolant spills) They are pushing the machines quite hard...cutting Silicone Carbide with diamond saws at 1.5 hours/cycle. ~2001, Minitech made some revisions to make the machines even more substantial than the models available in 1998.

What was the price tag on your setup.

I was looking at those mill for my next machine. ((of course I should make something with my first machine)) *grins*

approximate prices (don't hold me to these)

Frame: $4500
    DenverCNC 10 amp controller box (4 axis with Gecko drives): $1200
    3 x Aerotech 250 oz*in steppers: $360

I supplied my own spindle, spindle motor, spindle speed control. On their website, the $8500 Mini Mill/3 is supplied with Flashcut controller/software and spindle, hence the price difference.

Sure, you could do it even cheaper with DIY controller and Ebayed steppers, but I wanted some form of support if I ever have a malfunction.

Angry Miniteck Mill 2

Hello, I have a Miniteck minimill 2 Purchased 6 years ago. I use it, probably 10 times a week. I have a problem and have tried to contact Jack Heald to resolve or to even direct me to someone that can fix this machine, with no call back. I have left messages over and over for weeks and Jack nor anyone else from Miniteck will call me back. I purchased this machine from Jack. I have e-mailed Jack for possibilities of trading for a new mill or possibly a replacement circuit board to repair mine, but no one will call me back. I am not asking for anything but help. Customer support seems to be nonexistant. Can anyone help me? Is there anybody that Jack won't help but me?

Let us know what the problem is and I might be able to help you out. I don't work for minimill or anything, but I am pretty good at this type of thing.

Cool No help from Minitech

The control board in my minimill2 is getting power, but nothing works, not even the fan. Is it possible to get another controller and use my software and power supply from someone besides Minitech ? I use this mill to make plastic templates and use Minitech's dos software. If there is someone that can retrofit this unit to work as it should I will be glad to pay for parts and services. I am 30 miles south of Atlanta. Thanks Joe

jrich124,
    I have a minimill1, and have really had to "light the phone up" to get a reply on previous occasion.

Maybe "Jack" can smell money (or the end of it) over the phone? They are beautiful machines, for sure, but it is shocking to hear that people have spent that kind of money and have had problems with support, while others have had apparently good responses to thier problems. I am curious as to why this is so? Any insight?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by jrc347 View Post
    Let us know what the problem is and I might be able to help you out. I don't work for minimill or anything, but I am pretty good at this type of thing.
    i recently purchased a used minitech mill form someone, but have been unable to get it to respond to mach3 software.
    When i first acquired it, I realized that the person before me had the polarity reversed to the power supply. The wires were colored right, but the machine was just wired backwards for some reason. ( the black wire, was wired to the positive terminal, but wired differently in the controler.) I reversed them, now the fan comes on , but i'm unable to get anything else to respond.

I tried calling minitech to see if i could get the pin configuration from them, but they did not return my calls, and they do not make that information available.
    Another memeber here did send me a file that repalced a file, in my mach3 file, but to no avail. I still can't get a response from my mill.

I did go into the mach 3 software and go test the drives, I received no pulse there. Is it possible, when the polarity was reversed , my drives were fried.
    Could it be that I'm not using the software that work with this mill. Can anyone be of any help.

I acquired this mill at a really good price, and had plans of beefing it up with bigger steppers and a different controler.

Any suggestions to what might be wrong with me being unable to jog any axis.
    Thanks
    Mark

My experience with Minitech was an absolute nightmare. Over promise, under deliver, and they charge a fortune for the honor to hand over your money. Support is non-existent. I have never experienced such poor service and support after spending that kind of money in my life. Jack seems like a nice guy- but I can't recommend purchasing a Minitech mill. Nor do I recommend waiting for them to help you out- better (in my opinion) to retrofit a newer means of motion control.

Ryan

Thanks for the heads up Snapman. They do look like interesting machines, but for the price they ought to be well supported also, and without support you cant do business with the guy, even if he's giving them away. Nice guys are a dime a dozen.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jrich124 View Post
    The control board in my minimill2 is getting power, but nothing works, not even the fan. Is it possible to get another controller and use my software and power supply from someone besides Minitech ? I use this mill to make plastic templates and use Minitech's dos software. If there is someone that can retrofit this unit to work as it should I will be glad to pay for parts and services. I am 30 miles south of Atlanta. Thanks Joe

I would do just that - get a controller from someplace that has time to provide assistance and support.
    I purchased a mnimill 4 earlier this year and had similarly slow response from Minitech. The machine is absolutely beautiful - no issues at all with the quality of the product - the problem lies in the communication. I purchased a "skeleton" because I could no way afford the $25k price tag for the full blown machine(and don't have the space for a VMC), I had previously purchased a Gecko system from Dan Mauch(Camtronics), and have used/owned Mach for a while. Dan has been super helpful with any and all issues that have come up and I would highly recommend him and his controllers (I have a 3 axis Gecko setup from him that easily pushes the minimill 4 to 400+IPM reliably - I actually run it at only 300IPM). Minitech, however, is difficult to get timely responses from(though I still recommend the machine, and when you get ahold of Jack, he is helpful). The machine was missing a few odds and ends when I got it, but I didn't finish paying for it until I was satisfied with its completeness - I paid 25% down and the rest when I was "whole". Once I had the machine, any little issues were quickly resolved and communication was timely. IMO, minitech scores extremely high in product quality, but low in customer support and communication. Jack is a real nice guy, but perhaps is too busy to provide the service that should come with the price tag.
    Overall, I am thrilled with the machine, and equally thrilled that I purchased the controller from Dan and the machine from Minitech. Dan is fast and helpful on the controller support(always seems to have the answer to any issues), and the machine is top of the line.

Don't do it

My sympathy. Minitech have 2 days left before I finally give up on them after 6 and a half months of waiting and disappointment. Any advice appreciated as I am the other side of the Atlantic and now very poor.

Neil

Are you waiting for a machine you ordered or support assistance?
    www.rc-monster.com

Angry Over 7 Months

Sorry for keeping quiet but it is now 7 months from giving Minitech Machinery a lot of money. Even after the BBB was involved they still could not keep their promise of mid January. To be fair 3/4 arrived after 3 months but against the order that was quoted as 3-4 WEEK delivery! Full story soon, when it has all been verified and checked. Maybe the last bits will arrive by then.

Neil

Smile Happy Day!

Jeff from Minitech replaced my steppers, and added a new controller. Now this mill will use windows software (Mach 3). Very smooth, and precise, but new software is different than the doss I have used since I purchased it 6 years ago. Thank you Jeff. I am sure you will get some calls from owners that have needed support. The older minimill had a black box on the machine and a seperate 13 volt transformer. The upgrade has a seperate controller with no external transformer.... Thanks again Minitech.

Page 1 of 4 123