586,905 active members*
3,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone have a minitech mill?
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by gone4pepsi View Post
    i recently purchased a used minitech mill form someone, but have been unable to get it to respond to mach3 software.
    When i first acquired it, I realized that the person before me had the polarity reversed to the power supply. The wires were colored right, but the machine was just wired backwards for some reason. ( the black wire, was wired to the positive terminal, but wired differently in the controler.) I reversed them, now the fan comes on , but i'm unable to get anything else to respond.

I tried calling minitech to see if i could get the pin configuration from them, but they did not return my calls, and they do not make that information available.
    Another memeber here did send me a file that repalced a file, in my mach3 file, but to no avail. I still can't get a response from my mill.

I did go into the mach 3 software and go test the drives, I received no pulse there. Is it possible, when the polarity was reversed , my drives were fried.
    Could it be that I'm not using the software that work with this mill. Can anyone be of any help.

I acquired this mill at a really good price, and had plans of beefing it up with bigger steppers and a different controler.

Any suggestions to what might be wrong with me being unable to jog any axis.
    Thanks
    Mark
    Everybody listen up. I too had problems with my minitech,

and mine was purchased on the second market.

When I got it , i wasn't sure it'd power up or not and was

having problems with the software. ( mach 3)

Jack, of minitech, contacted me thru the support site at

mach 3's forum area. He coached me thru the software and

was more helpful than art knew to be. Primarily, becasue it

was his machine. Even though I didn't buy it directly from

Jack, he wanted to see this machine up and running.

Now my machine is an older machine and probably a

dinasaur by now. All the mechanical parts on this thing are

well made. This machine had the brass bushings on the

round rails, and it even has the heavy duty spindle that

looks to have had little use.

Jack, was in constant contact with me everyday by email

and even gave me his phone number, eventhough; i didn't

call to bother him.

We finally determinbed that i had two bad drives oh the

board, then i later isolated which drive was good and

determined that the motors were all bad , with the

exception of the one.

Jack, salvaged me one of the older boards and sent it to

me at no charge.

I purchase three powermax II p22's and I'll be up and

running in a day or so.

Jack did tell me that it will run slow, because this one was

unipolar and made back in the caveman days, probably

shortly after he got started in the business. He suggested

that I get a different controller system and this machine

would be a real sweet machine and worhty of the upgrade.

I will take his advice, upgrade to a better controller, and

keep my minitech.

I appreciate his time spent, his honesty, and willingness to

keep my interest.

He didn't have to do any of that for me, he didn't owe me

anything, but that's just the kind of person he is.

If anyone's having trouble with your mintech products,

contact Jack personally.

He does want to hear from you directly.

Please be patient, I assure you if you contact him

here :[email protected]

He will address any problem you have.

This post is aimed at those few individuals whom chose to slander, threaten and break down rather that meaningfully add and help build a solid foundation for creativity to flourish in this most extraordinary engineering discipline referred to as Bench Top CAD/CAM. I'm specifically referring to Jack Heald, Minitech and the apparent difficulty of contacting them.

Seven years ago I was introduced to CAD and Bench Top Milling for the very first time. It's now safe to say that I'll be doing this till the day I can't lift my hand to a clicking device or to pick up an allen wrench in order to clamp something down on one of the many Minitech Mills I now own.

During all this time Jack from Minitech has been my mentor and window to the latest technology and cutting edge software. Although my first machine was from a different supplier, the Mini Mills and their ever evolving controllers have completely taken over my life. My second machine was a Mini Mill 3 from Minitech. This one had Linear Rails, superior frame and Flash Cut Signal Generator and Drive. Over time I've had the privilege of running all of Minitech's Mills with their new drives and found them all to be very capable, reliable and superior in this very rich engineering discipline. I even used their smallest system to cut into metal and produce a very detailed engineered work of art....something you can't do on the bigger mills.

Although some people complain about how difficult it is to contact Jack, we need to not forget that the equipment you're using is ground breaking and demand the kind of user you'll find in a lab rather than a workshop. By that I mean someone capable of solving problems and finding alternative solutions by any means possible. Enthusiasm isn't an advantage it's a prerequisite. Before just calling your equipment supplier or trashing their efforts all over the internet, try and solve the problem by understanding it first and then thinking outside the box. Sometimes this sounds easier said than done,I know...I live it every day, but if you plan on creating something that has never been seen or done before using this technology, improvising and finding different ways of getting to a solution will be a big part of it.

I think, and this is my personal opinion, you'll find that most of the people complaining about anything that has to do with our chosen engineering discipline and passion is someone that probably won't be a part of this very creative world we know as Bench Top CAD/CAM for much longer.....You need to want it and not complain about someone else's involvement or lack off. This is a very creative discipline......rather enjoy the ride and see how much knowledge you can tap from someone as influential, gifted and trustworthy as Jack Heald from Minitech .

I will be glad to forward images of work done on the Minitech systems to anyone willing to think outside the box. It truly is unbelievable. Thank You Minitech / Jack

Smile

My posts in this forum is not and has not been about slandering or threating anyone nor the quality of Mintec products, but rather the needed support when machines don't work. I don't know how or what you use your machines for, but mine is used daily in my business to further produce a product that we sell. If this machine is down for weeks, and weeks because we cannot get help, we have to buy parts to finish our products. Besides the stress of having a machine down for an extended period , and relying on someone else to produce what I should be is the cost I pay for outsourcing. My forte is not machine repair, nor is it software knowledge to make it work. I can not fix something that I know little about. I buy good equipment, pay the price, and expect help when needed. Jack and Jeff of Minitec have saved the day, and repaired my machine. In fact they have come to my shop twice. Thanks Jack/ Jeff, I owe you guys. Be sure that my post was not to slander, intimadate or threaten, but a plea for help in an area that I needed help in. I think outside the box when my customers are happy.....................How bou't you Jab.?

I guess I was one of the lucky ones?

Ive had my minimill2 about a year now. When I first got it I was having an issue with the controller and Jack promptly replaced it. He even gave me his cell phone number and told me to call him anytime I had a question!
    A few months ago I recieved a package with proximity switches and a Z probe for free!

I personally couldn't be happier with my mill or the level of service I have recieved and will recommend a minitech machine to anyone who asks.

Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Regards,
    Ken
    http://www.3dcadjewelry.com/

Happy customer

As time goes by, I don't think you are lucky at all (more likely my timing was bad). My machine was delayed initially, and Jack was tough to nail down during the waiting period, but the service after the sale has certainly been there(and this is most important IMO). I believe I caught Jack at an extremely busy time when I ordered my machine.
    The machine itself is fantastic, and Jack actually "checks in" every month or so to make sure all is well. If I have a question, he has an answer or suggestion, and any thoughts I have on improving the machine for my individual needs(more powerful spindle motor, for example) are met with support and recommendations from Jack - and not forcefully promoting his own offerings, either - genuine help, information and suggestions to assist/improve my situation (most suggestions were in fact NOT his offerings and he had nothing to gain from the sale exept the satisfaction of helping me make the most of my machine). Questions regarding machine maintenence, cutting parameters(or limitations on the machine), and even the controller(which I purchased elswhere prior to the machine purchase) have all been discussed with Jack. I have always been impressed with the machine, and Jack has impressed me as well since the initial sale.
    www.rc-monster.com

I bought a MiniMill 3/pro from Jack in early April of 05, I ordered it with Flashcut and a copy of Deskproto for CAM. Put half down and was told the mill would ship in about 3 weeks and since I assumed they had Deskproto in stock, I asked to have it shipped ahead of the mill so I could get some projects rolling.

By May, still hadn't seen anything so I started calling to see what was up. I was told it was soon on it's way. When the big crate arrived I was excited to open it up and discover a beautiful cnc...lathe...not a mill. Seems they shipped me someone elses order. Hmmm...back on the phone I go.

Late May, my mill finally shows up, WhaHoo! Wait, wait, no Flashcut controller, ARGH! Now I've got a big expensive paperweight. Time to play, "Where's Jack?" again.

Mid June, I've recieved my Flashcut controllers, hasn't been configured for my mill, PITA to figure out when I was expecting plug and play(mill). Still haven't received any of the accessories promised with the mill, or the tailstock for the fourth axis which I really need ASAP. Speaking of ASAP, I still hadn't received my copy of Deskproto which I had ordered in April. I finally emailed Deskproto to see if Minitech had ordered any copies lately, which they hadn't and Deskproto started emailing Minitech as well to try and get me my copy.

Late June, finally got Deskproto and my fourth axis, seperately of course, but never got any of the "standard" accessories. I was so sick of calling and emailing at that point I didn't care.

I have to say that throughout this whole saga, the office manager and Jack were always very nice, but usually only Jack had any information as to the status of my order and he was really difficult to track down. It would always take multiple calls/emails and up to a week generally to get an answer to a question. Not that the answer was always accurate either, I was told over and over things were going to happen that didn't. A very frustrating experience.

The machine itself is another story. Stout, accurate and fast, it's a beauty. I'm very happy with the machine and would buy another from somebody else, but I would hesitate to ever deal with Minitech again.

That said, I'm not trying to bash Minitech or Jack, just giving others the whole of my experience with the company. I wish it hadn't been so, they make a great product and I would love to give my whole hearted endorsment.

I've sent two emails to Minitech requesting price quotes that have not been answered. The first was about a month ago. The second was about two weeks ago. I did get a reponse when I wrote to what appears to be a distributer in Arizona (http://www.minitechcnc.com). However, there was no response from this person to a follow-up question. These mills look great but they cost a lot of money and it is disturbing to me that at this stage I can't get responses to very straightforward questions.

Hi Don,
    I believe you are looking at the wrong site? www.minitech.com is Jacks site.
    You can also get in touch with him at www.3dcadjewelry.com
    I've been very pleased with my minitech and the support.
    Regards,
    Ken

As a former customer- I recommend you stay away from Minitech. Grossly over priced and the customer service is non existent. My company had a horrible experience with them.

You could get a decked out, CNC'd Taig and a bunch of tooling and still save a lot of money and have a better machine than the two lower end Minitechs (Minimills 1 & 2). If you are looking at the higher end Minitechs (Minimills 3 & 4) I recommend taking a look at Intelitek (formerly Light Machines)- www.benchman.com and check out the Super Prolight or the new(er) mini machining center. Cost will be comparable but what you get for the money is outstanding and the customer service is top notch.

Or you can do what we did and buy used Intelitek hardware on ebay and retrofit. We now have three Inteliteks- two mills and a lathe. And even though we purchased used from a private party- Intelitek customer service has bent over backwards to help us out whenever we needed it.

justs my $.02

I just acquired one of the older Minimill 2 units with the seperate p/s. Does anyone have the pinout for the port so I can test it?

Can you post some pictures of your minitech 2 mill with the maxnc spindle mounted. I have purchased an older (first) model minitech mill that also came with a mount for a foredom flex shaft spindle and would like know how it could be done. Would you be interested in making one for me?

Regards,

Jose

Hello to anyone who has have MINITECH 3pro ,please send me it's spec.I would appreciated very much.

www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

I have a minitech mill that I got in 2000 and used for about 6 months - Everything works fine - I got some support but basically all was working fine.

I have not used the machine for over 4 yrs - I wander if any one out there would like to buy this machine and what is the value. I have software tools, and almost all options from minitech.

post some pictures of the unit. How much are you asking?

ok - I will try to get some pictures tonight

I, also, have not been able to reach Jack for support. I bought my Mill 2 used. I received a great deal of help on this forum, but have still not been able to get it running. I have tried calling and emailing Jack. This is just supposed to be a hobby for me. Since I am busy running my business, I do not have time to "light up the phones". Anybody have other ways not mentioned so far to get his attention?

Hello Redmond
    Can you post some more information about your machine, like, did you get it with ball screws ? What type of spindle does it have? Do you have the fourth axis option?
    I'm preaty much intrested in buying either the Mintech Mini Mill 3 pro or the Model Master machine. I've actually flew to Georgia this week and visited both companies. It was a very interesting visit. I can say that Jack, though hard to reach, is a great guy and seems to work very hard to get the machines manufactured. Anyway, I might also be a potential buyer of your machine if I'll decide to go with Minitech, but since I wanted to make some changes to it maybe buying it directly from Minitech might be the way to go.
    Pictures,Pictures Please

Red face

pb4ugo,

Do you have any idea how old your machine is?

If someone that has Minitech experience decided to get your machine running it would be done in less than one working day.

Its not fair bad mouthing Jack since you purchased a old, very used eBay Minitech and can't diagnose it!

Several members have given you very good advice.

Are you really serious about getting it running?

Jeff...

I think it's admirable that Jack helps trouble shoot any of his old 2nd hand machines at all, consider if you bought a beater Ford Tempo online and called up Ford to get help diagnosing why it won't start, after they finished laughing, they'd send you on your way.

Fixittt and others gave you good advice, I'd say continue along that vein. If the electronics are too old, too buggy and you can't diagnose it, pull them off and replace them or sell the machine if it's too much for you. Jack's been making machines for 20 years and I've seen some real relics of his on ebay, while still good mechanically, the electronics are too outdated to bother messing with.
    www.harryhamilldesigns.com
    CAD sculpting and services

Page 2 of 4 1234