586,724 active members*
3,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Newbie Question - Grooving a Flange

Newbie Question - Grooving a Flange

Hello,

I'm wondering what kind of lathe tool bit would generally be used to put an o-ring groove in a flange? In this case the groove would have an ID of about 2.0", OD of 2.250", and the depth would be about 0.075". The flange would be either brass or aluminum. Thank you.

Google the terms "trepanning" or "face grooving".
    Software For Metalworking
    http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately all I see are what look like expensive, specialized tool holders and inserts...and it looks like most if not all of what's available is too big for my mini-lathe.

just grind your own tool out of a blank, especially if you only need a couple of pieces, unless your good at this kind of work. Otherwise, inserts are available, but I've always ground my own.
    http://www.sherline.com/grinding.htm
    http://www.sherline.com/3005pg.htm
    There are all diffrent size blanks available, just goto your local tool supply, they are common and cheap!

How big a square shank tool can you use? First option would be a top notch face groove tool if it fits. You probably can order a solid carbide trepan bar. Or make your own tool with one of those 3/8 or 1/2 inch tools that have a piece of carbide brazed on them if you have a grinder. Having a senior moment, and can't recall their correct name.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I can use up to a 3/8" shank tool.

From what I'm seeing, it looks like carbide face-grooving inserts are manufacturer unique, and meant to be used with their specific corresponding holders...all of which I've seen are bigger than 3/8".

As far as grinding my own tool bit, well, unfortunately I'm new at this, and, not having any kind of reference material, tutorial, detailed picture, sample to look at, etc., that doesn't seem like the answer at this point.

Regards,
    Nelson

Thanks for the link. That's a nice little tutorial on basic tool grinding. I think I'm capable of doing that. Now all I need to know is what a face-grooving cutting tool has to look like...even some kind of rough empirical guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson_2008 View Post
    Thanks for the link. That's a nice little tutorial on basic tool grinding. I think I'm capable of doing that. Now all I need to know is what a face-grooving cutting tool has to look like...even some kind of rough empirical guidelines.
    Just make the end square, break the cutting corners with a diamond file if you want, grind them square on the bench grinder though.

10* relief, if your good, maybe a 3* rake on the top, 0 is fine though. Pretty straight forward and simple, nothing real critical for an O-ring groove, just make sure you have a nice clean cut on the bottom, that is where the O-ring will seal, the sides will hold it in. Shouldn't be a big deal cutting aluminum, just grind one up and try it, I think you'll be suprised how easy it is, especially after the first tool you grind up.

MC