586,114 active members*
3,398 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Convert STL to Solid ? ? ?

Convert STL to Solid ? ? ?

In SW, i import or input a part to machine in one file and in a seperate file, i create my stock material size. i then create an assembly of the files and export them into Virtual Gibbs for machining. After i create and run the toolpath in VG i can only save the rendered toolpath as as STL file.

i am wondering if it is possible to convert a rendered toolpath from Gibbs Virtual, that can only be saved as an STL, back into a solid in SW's so that it could be used as material for the next machining op?

below is an stl example from VG

HTML Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/151250564/Example_Housing_Stock_op1.stl.html
    thanx for looking

Axxtion

Depending on what your machine is (Mill,Lathe) create your geometry, once you have that completed open your solid modeling tab then open your advanced solid modeling tab, if this is a lathe application select your geometry then go back to your advanced modeling tab and select the revolve tab and what happens is it creates a solid model of your finished component that can be exported as a para solid file for your next operation, if its a mill it is a little more detailed than i can write in an e-mail but if you send me your solid file and the geometry or 2d print i will give you a step by step instruction on how to do this for a mill job, this way you do not have to worry about exporting a STL file for the next operation, you will have a solid file created around the geometry you create. My e-mail is [email protected] i hope this helps.

Harold