586,115 active members*
3,458 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Installing 4th axis on TC4

I found an interesting rotary table which I can get for $3000.
    It is a Hofmann WRMB250, the seller claims it came off a Bridgeport CNC Mill, he is unable to tell which model.
    The table has 7pin connector.

I looked in the TC4's service manual and I am confused.
    As I managed to read in several threads here, once installed the machine is supposed to recognize the rotary table as axis C.

According to the manual, there are options for indexer and rotary table on this model. The connectors are installed on the monitor's arm, the indexer has a small connector while the rotary table a larger one.

Physically, on the machine I have only a 10 pin connector and the C axis Yaskawa drive is not installed.

What do I need to do in order to install a 4th axis (any kind), or will the Hofmann work? I guess with with 7 pin connector it won't have any encoder, but again, it was disassembled from another BP.

Any expalnation will be highly appreciated.

I was just working last week on a VMC760-16 with a 4th axis. It looked like it had a 36 pin connector! This one had a Siemens motor in it. It had the pins for the Heidenhain encoder, pins for the temp fault, triggering of the hall effect transistors, power, enabling jumper, etc.
    I had to reload the hard drive so I know that on this machine, I used a 4th axis enable disk I carry from Bridgeport.
    On the TC4, there was a kit for a 4th axis. I have installed one. It included an additional drive, wiring and plugs that mounted in the arm going across the top of the machine to the CRT. And parameter changes.
    The indexer was an option also. That included the necessary solenoids to allow it to function.
    Typically I believe Bridgeport used Troykee 4th axis units. You have to make sure that for the TC4 there is the proper Yaskawa motor in it,

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Typically I believe Bridgeport used Troykee 4th axis units.
    George
    Correct. That is what mine is.

Owen
    9 1/2
    B.C.I.T. Machinist CNC

The one I found is this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

The seller claims it came off a BP CNC mill, god knows which one.

I see a stepping motor attached to it. NOT A SERVO MOTOR!.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hofmann Rotary Tables

Is this rotary table able to be retrofitted with a servo motor? I have some servo motors that could possibly be adapted to work with something like this. Does anybody have any ideas? Or, could this be used as is, with a control that is purchased separately?