586,692 active members*
3,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Best CAM Solution For Solidworks

Best CAM Solution For Solidworks

I've Been using Solidworks 2007 Offic Premium for a long while now.
    I am looking for a CAM solution for use with 3 - 5 Axis Mills to bring creations to life.
    Needs to either import solid parts to make toolpaths or be a Solidworks Plug-in type utility.

Thanks,

Bud

I suggest searching the forums.

I for one will not be repeating my opinions on this ? that has been discussed to death already.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

DareBee,
    I did an extensive search on this and just plain got confused. If you don't wish to repeat yourself then maybe you could post a link or two to those opinions already posted.

After some additional research I found that BobCad/Cam V21 is a Solidworks Partner and a piece of software that I already own so I'll try that first.

Thanks all for looking,

Bud

I am sorry to say that it is a very confusing subject, with hundreds of driving factors as to what fits as best choice.

Will BobCAD accurately import a Solidworks part file .sldprt ?? and will BobCAD create G-code from this Solidworks file?

I have used MasterCAM for 6 years, and recently picked up SolidWorks 7 months ago. With no training I have become fairly profecient in SolidWorks. This is in large part due to MasterCAM and SolidWorks having similar geometry creation tools. MasterCAM is also a very powerful CAM package fully capable of five and four axis motions.

In short, due to the similarities I would recommend MasterCAM. I would definitly not go with GibbsCAM, as a CAD user the geometry creation will completly confuse and fluster you.

IMHO.

i am a fan of mastercam as well,i recently attended a seminar for solidworks and feature cam for what its worth it seemed like a good program,both programs prices are very close.
    2007 Haas TMP-1 Microscribe MX-5 Mastercam X4 Mill Level 3 Surfaces,Solids Seagate 2 tb hard drive AMD 64x2 8gig ram windows ultimate 7 64bit Geoforce 8800 GTX

Quote Originally Posted by timmydabull View Post
    i am a fan of mastercam as well,i recently attended a seminar for solidworks and feature cam for what its worth it seemed like a good program,both programs prices are very close.
    Quote Originally Posted by mccord3576 View Post
    I have used MasterCAM for 6 years, and recently picked up SolidWorks 7 months ago. With no training I have become fairly profecient in SolidWorks. This is in large part due to MasterCAM and SolidWorks having similar geometry creation tools. MasterCAM is also a very powerful CAM package fully capable of five and four axis motions.

In short, due to the similarities I would recommend MasterCAM. I would definitly not go with GibbsCAM, as a CAD user the geometry creation will completly confuse and fluster you.

IMHO.
    I agree 150% That master cam is a top choice. You can also check out Solid cam, I know there is a free demo out there somewhere. I don't know much about it other than it is made by solid works.
    MC

Solidcam is not made by SolidWorks, but it IS made FOR SolidWorks.