586,108 active members*
3,098 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 6 3456
    so the z-axis brake is used only when the machine is powered off?

yes. Only to hold it in place when the servo is not powered or when emergency stop is pressed.

We displayed the machine at the Las Vegas at the wood working show last week and it did VERY well. We took orders for 6 machines :cheers: I was very pleased to say the least. Retail at $49,000. helped too. I have 2 more coming in September. I changed the drive system and removed the belts all together. Rotating the rack and pinion 90 degrees to allow the motor to stand straight up on all axis will make a huge difference. I'll send photo's of them when I get them in

Cheers
    Kirk

Congratulations, it's a good looking machine and it seems you have a nice price as well.

Thats good news! - would be real interesting to see the alternative to the belts

hi, great-looking machine, I'm starting to build something similar myself. I have a 16HP Colombo ATC spindle, and will be making the tool change mechanism myself- how did your ATC work out?

cheers

hi, great-looking machine, I'm starting to build something similar myself. I have a 16HP Colombo ATC spindle
    Hello steve p,
    What is your reason to use a big 16HP Colombo ATC spindle? Is that not enough to use 1.5 hp spindle to cut wood? Or you will also cut alot of metal. Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello steve p,
    What is your reason to use a big 16HP Colombo ATC spindle? Is that not enough to use 1.5 hp spindle to cut wood? Or you will also cut alot of metal. Tx.
    1.5HP will cut wood, 16HP will cut wood really really fast...

I have one question. I have atc spindle with two air connections for piston to release or clamp tool and one for taper clean. On first one it says piston delivery, on the second one piston retract on third one taper clean. Which solenoid valve I need 5way, 4way or 3way and how many of them?

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hello steve p,
    I'm no expert, but I wanted a larger spindle to increase the feed rates so 2.5 or 3D jobs didn't take forever, it means you can push harder and cut much faster without losing edge quality since the rotational speed is maintained. I was looking for something around 10hp- it seems most gantry-type routers made for a professional environment are around that size, but this 16hp ATC one came up at the time. I do cut quite a lot of ali, so I suppose I will be able to cut thicker in one pass, which will be a help too.

I now have also bought a bunch of used servos (Allen Bradley 2.5kw a.c. units) and a set of matching new drives (AB Ultra3000s). I know you're not supposed to do it this way round (you should calculate the required motor torque+speed from the machine specs), but seven motors and four new drives with all cabling for under a grand seemed too good to miss... I noticed that the mach3 manual has a section on motors and gearing, I'll read that shortly, but if anyone had any links to good reading in this area I'd be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by pero81 View Post
    I have one question. I have atc spindle with two air connections for piston to release or clamp tool and one for taper clean. On first one it says piston delivery, on the second one piston retract on third one taper clean. Which solenoid valve I need 5way, 4way or 3way and how many of them?
    Does it have two or three? On our HSD spindles, the cleaning air is on when the tool is released, so you probably want taper clean and piston delivery to work together.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Kirk nice machine,nice price.I use a $ 100K machine similar design as far as the base tubes.Are you sure you used 3/4" wall or was that a typo error?My machine has 3/16"tubes.I think my machine is 8,000lbs or so.Your machine must be heavier than this.
    The 10to1 gear boxes and 2to1 belt pulleys are a good setup.In the event of a crash,something has to give.The belts may be insurance as they will break before the gear boxes or rack.Something to consider with the high rapids.
    Keep up the good work:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drink.gif 
Views:	1461 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	86451
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

Quote Originally Posted by lgalla View Post
    Kirk nice machine,nice price.I use a $ 100K machine similar design as far as the base tubes.Are you sure you used 3/4" wall or was that a typo error?My machine has 3/16"tubes.I think my machine is 8,000lbs or so.Your machine must be heavier than this.
    The 10to1 gear boxes and 2to1 belt pulleys are a good setup.In the event of a crash,something has to give.The belts may be insurance as they will break before the gear boxes or rack.Something to consider with the high rapids.
    Keep up the good work:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drink.gif 
Views:	1461 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	86451
    Larry
    Point taken on the belts. Nope, it has 3/4" wall tubing. It was in the shop and that was what was used. Next one will be 1/4" (6mm)

cheers,

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by ktb100 View Post
    Point taken on the belts. Nope, it has 3/4" wall tubing. It was in the shop and that was what was used. Next one will be 1/4" (6mm)

cheers,

Kirk
    Hi Kirk, can you give any details about the ATC you used/built, and some pics if possible?

Hi Steve,

I bought aluminum tooling pockets and bolted them to a rack. I will get some pics and post a video of it in use tomorrow.

Thanks !

Kirk

Hi Steve,

I bought aluminum tooling pockets and bolted them to a rack. I will get some pics and post a video of it in use tomorrow.

Thanks !

Kirk
    waiting with bated breath!....

Hi Steve,

Sorry about the delay here is a quick snap shot of the rack.

Thanks !

Kirk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02232.JPG  

y axis motor mounting

I like how you have the y axis motors tucked way with your gear box,
    what the ratio you have set up there? do you have a close up of your
    pinion alignment for your y axis and the pillow block using the spit pinion set up?

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    I like how you have the y axis motors tucked way with your gear box,
    what the ratio you have set up there? do you have a close up of your
    pinion alignment for your y axis and the pillow block using the spit pinion set up?
    Hi,

10:1 is the gear ratio.

Thanks !!

Hi Steve,

Sorry about the delay here is a quick snap shot of the rack.

Thanks !

Kirk
    thanks kirk, where did you buy the rack? I need one for HSK63 holders..

also, any chance of that video of the atc in action? Does the software control the tool change sequence or does it trigger a plc or similar?

cheers

steve

Page 5 of 6 3456