586,080 active members*
3,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: mastercam x2

mastercam x2

he guys,

Can anyone help us out with a mastercam x2 postprocessor for Okuma machiningcentre MC4VA ??

theo

I have an MC 4020, I had to do some pretty serious editing to my post processor on the OSP 4 post to get it to do what I needed. (way above my head). If you purchase maintenence from Mastercam they should be able to help you, Robert

Robert,

We are looking to purchase and okuma mcv 4020, I noticed you have the mc 4020, I don't know the product line well enough to discern the differences. The machine we are considering is a 2002 model with, I believe, the OSP 100 control. We have the maint contract with MCam, so I don't think getting the post will be a problem.

My question is, (I have 15 years experience fanuc/haas programming), is the code much different?

Thanks,

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samhyto View Post
    Robert,

We are looking to purchase and okuma mcv 4020, I noticed you have the mc 4020, I don't know the product line well enough to discern the differences. The machine we are considering is a 2002 model with, I believe, the OSP 100 control. We have the maint contract with MCam, so I don't think getting the post will be a problem.

My question is, (I have 15 years experience fanuc/haas programming), is the code much different?

Thanks,

Sam
    Sam,
    The codes are the same, the tool change process is a little different. Robert

fair amount different

are you talking the difference between fanuc and Okuma? if so, they are opposite ends of the spectrum. I have run fanucs for many years and we just got a multi axis okuma and it is night and day. okuma uses lots of variables and word type offsets and most of the g code and m codes are totally different, although some of the basics are the same. good luck, you should be prepared for a struggle for a while.

Rob & CNCClimber,

Thanks, for the replies. I'll contact my dealer monday. Getting ready to install X3 this weekend, will check to see what post is on the CD.

Any good sites for info on the mcv4020 so I can hit the ground atleast walking?

Thanks,

Sam

I wouldn't say night and day, I would say more like day shift and night shift. You will have to use G15 with an H value for your WCS instead of 54, and a G56 instead of a G43 for tool length compensation, but G83 is still pecking, G73 is a chip break drill cycle, G84 is tapping RH, G81 is simple drill, G85 is bore in bore out, G42, 41, 40 are cutter compensation codes, R is return plane, Q is peck amount. I come from a Fanuc background too. Robert

With that being said I am only on a 3 axe machine I don't know how much different it would be with more axes than that, although the MC4020 IS a 3 axe.

O.K. I will agree with that. I thought about it after I posted and if you are comparing 3 axis machines I guess they are not hugely different, I tend to forget that sometimes. we have a okuma 3 axis mill that pretty much runs one part all the time and for a very short period about a year and a half ago I ran a couple of parts on it and did get used to it fairly quickly. for most things you only need to relearn a few new codes/ways of doing things. However I went from a Kia lathe with live tooling and a barely capable sub-spindle to an Okuma multus. 7 axis, 10,000 rpm mill spindle, y axis, b axis head, 2 c-axis spindles. It has my head spinning so fast everything is a blurr. there is a bunch of stuff different with those two, as would be expected I guess. I feel just getting used to the layout of the control is 90% of the battle. okuma builds a hell of a powerful one,just a matter of learning to navigate and use it to its full potential, although I am finding out noone can afford to use it to its potential since every really cool function is a multi-thousand dollar option . allright its not quite that bad, just close. I take back my original comment and concede defeat. (nuts)

Quote Originally Posted by cncclimber View Post
    O.K. I will agree with that. I thought about it after I posted and if you are comparing 3 axis machines I guess they are not hugely different, I tend to forget that sometimes. we have a okuma 3 axis mill that pretty much runs one part all the time and for a very short period about a year and a half ago I ran a couple of parts on it and did get used to it fairly quickly. for most things you only need to relearn a few new codes/ways of doing things. However I went from a Kia lathe with live tooling and a barely capable sub-spindle to an Okuma multus. 7 axis, 10,000 rpm mill spindle, y axis, b axis head, 2 c-axis spindles. It has my head spinning so fast everything is a blurr. there is a bunch of stuff different with those two, as would be expected I guess. I feel just getting used to the layout of the control is 90% of the battle. okuma builds a hell of a powerful one,just a matter of learning to navigate and use it to its full potential, although I am finding out noone can afford to use it to its potential since every really cool function is a multi-thousand dollar option . allright its not quite that bad, just close. I take back my original comment and concede defeat. (nuts)

If I knew how to do a partial quote I would :withstupi. 7 axis would scare the crap right out of me. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Robert