586,980 active members*
4,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Learning Programming

I've been trying to learn G code programming. I'd like to be able to use my knowledge on a Haas machine has my dad has 2 of them.

What is generally the best/easy/quick way to learn?

Hi Gujustud,

Theoretically, all you would need is a book on gcode programming and that should do the trick.

(then, see my sig )
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Well to bad you werent out here I teach at the NTMA training centers in Cali were we teach Gcode programming on the 8 brand new Haas machine and 5 simulaters at the school.

I help some with the CNC class but my fortay is teaching the beggenning and Advance Mastercam classes.

I will get the name of some of the books we use and post the name here for you.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Thanks guy, that would be great if you could mention some good books.

I uploaded a small web based Gcode training class to the FTP site. It is in the unspecified_upload area.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

Gujustud,
    Here is a link to a good book to get you started. Dave is a great guy. If you search the web there are lots of books.Here is another.
    Feel free to post any question on this BB. There is no "fixed" right way. You just need to follow some rules. Other than that it's a free form of "Art" as there are numerous ways to get a machine to do what you want it to do. Just try to have fun doing it **** is also a good place to go for any machine and/or programming related technical information.
    See my sig. also
    "The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown

cool...

love that sig. Turbine

I do not suggest Turbine last site.
    There is trouble that follows the host of the site.

JM2C
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Practice makes perfect. Play around with it. Just watch you Z's!!!!

Perhaps check out Protalk at www.kentechinc.com

How's the NTMA program..cadcam..
    I'm gonna give it a shot and see if I actual learn sumthing new there.
    www.datum1.com

Datum 1 Engineering
    Ontario, CA
    909-923-8995

Datum1, you should have a good time and learn alott in the time alotted.
    If you have any qustions in regards to the NTMA give me jingle
    Cadcam

I know this is a bit O/T but what about using cncsimulator to test G-code?

"The source of expertise is not in the memorization of the minute details of a subject but in the thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts on which it is based." --author unknown
    love that sig. Turbine
    Did any one read the latest Popular Science magazine where they talk about Amar Bose ( The inventor of the Bose speakers and other wonderful products)

Apparently Bose who was also a teacher, was a pioneer in introducing open book exams in the 60s. He understood that memory was not the key, but understanding was.

I recommend reading the artical. It is very encouraging to read for us inventive types.

does anyone know of a good CNC handbook that provides step by step exercises on how to learn -not to make a part- but how to learn the commands...I'm here in pittsburg in class and going into conniptions because the teacher is moving way too fast for me.....please help.

ooops ...I forgot to say that the CNC help I need is in mastercam...