586,121 active members*
3,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > South Bend Chimpaster 460-240v Change???

South Bend Chimpaster 460-240v Change???

Bought a South Bend ChipmasterII mill. 460volts now.

Need to change to 240v for 3ph converter use in pole barn shop.

Motor voltage change-easy, transformer for 110v change-easy.

Mitsubishi VFD for variable speed spindle? Not so easy. What do i do here, if anything?

Also, what kind of quick-change spindle taper is this? NMTB40 without use of the pullstud? Someone said it might be an Erickson 40?

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machines1stDay 006.jpg   Machines1stDay 007.jpg  

If the VFD is the only thing left that is 460, you will probably have to change it for a 240v version, pity, the Mitsubishi are nice VFD's.
    The spindle looks like it might be Kwik Change 300.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi AppEng

Yes you can change the voltage to 240v but you will have to change the VFD to a 240V
    unit If what you have is a 460 then you can not run it on 240v

The spindle does look like a Erickson 40 the locking nut on the end of the spindle is a Erickson for sure

You could also use a step up transformer 240v to 460 which my be cheaper than a drive change

Now something to think about you may be able to run the machine on 240v single phase just by getting a VFD with the single phase input the rest of the machine my be fine with
    110v or 240 single phase if nothing needs 3phase power to it you will not need to have the converter
    Mactec54

Or as Al said, a Universal Kwik-Switch.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Hi AppEng

The spindle is not the Kwik-switch series a photo attached will show you this the Kwik-switch nut has 2 slots in the front face to load the tools yours does not

If you can measure the ID /OD of the locking nut this will help there are more than one taper that was used with this type of tool holding/locking system like 30/35/40/45 Taper
    & some were 50 taper

The other photo is Erickson 30 or 40 taper tooling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kwik-switch.jpg   Erickson 40 tooling.jpg  
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by AppEng View Post
    Mitsubishi VFD for variable speed spindle? Not so easy. What do i do here, if anything?
    If you go with 240v 1 phase in VFD, you may need to derate it, IOW if you have a 3hp spindle, use a 5hp VFD.
    Also, although your wire sizing is probabally OK, any fusing or O/L's may need beefing up when moving from 460 to 240, single or 3 phase.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for your help, guys. So what I gather...I need to get a step-up transformer or a 240v VFD. What would be cheaper and more efficient? I know nothing about VFD's- would there be any setup required to get one to work right in this machine?

Hi AppEng
    The VFD would be more efficient than a step up transformer is your machine cnc or manual

If you go with the VFD buy one that is 240v single phase input 240 3phase output that way there is no derating of the drive the single phase drives go up to 5hp you only have to derate the drive if it is 3phase input & you run it on single phase 240v
    Mactec54

It is a manual machine. I figure the only reason why this mill has a vfd is because it has an electronically controlled variable speed spindle. Couldn't I get a 3hpase in - 3phase out 240volt VFD and just switch it out? I'm pretty sure that's what the one is now...a 440-440. Is there any adjustments that need to be made on the control panel of those things? Everything else (motor and 110v transformer) will be easy I think.

I want to just use a single 3 phase rotary convertor so I can powe a lathe and a mill off the same source. So, I would rather just keep the machine all 3 phase and get it set up at 240 volts.

I appreciate your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machines1stDay 005.jpg   Machines1stDay 006.jpg  

If you want a drop in replacement, the Mitsubishi A200 instead of the A500 you have, using the same HP rating, although I am not sure, I think they dropped this particular model since about 5yrs ago.
    They have the provision where you can save the tuning parameters in the hand unit and transfer it over to another unit.
    Most VFD's now have a feature for auto tuning, where it exercises the motor and adjusts the tuning parameters automatically.
    If you have a manual machine then any transfer over to another make/model should be relatively easy.
    Whatever you get, I would recommend getting a Flux Vector type for best performance.
    BTW, I have two machines with the A200 model and have found virtually no difference in performance between using on the 3 ph convertor and on 240 1 phase and no derating.
    Most motors have the 240/440v connection option and the 120v control voltage is most likely 1 phase transformer than can be swapped out for 240/120 if necessary.
    Al.

Albert E.

I stand corrected. Mactec is correct, Erickson tool retainer nose piece. The good news is the tool holders are more readily available.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

So the Mitsubishi A200 would be a drop-in replacement for 240v operation, but the model is discontinued? Are there any other suitable replacements that I could look for?

Thanks for the help!

Actually it looks like the A500 comes in 400v and 200v range.
    http://www.meau.com/Files/SH_NA_3193-B.PDF
    Al.

Albert E.