586,082 active members*
3,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach on TV

If memory serves, someone mentioned that the Tormach mill might be part of the upcoming show "Prototype This" on Discovery Channel. Just wanted to remind everyone that it debuts this Wednesday at 10 PM EST!

Info on show - http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/prototyp...out/about.html
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I was on the Prototype This website this morning and found this: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/prot...-tool-kit.html . They go about telling what a cnc machine is and show the Tormach making a belt buckle out of wax.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

So... am I the only one that thinks either that video was slightly doctored or that isn't a stock Tormach mill?

The close-up shot of the rapid moves between 45-48 seconds have to be faster than 65 IPM.

Dave

am i the only one that thought that show was terrible? i think i'll stick to looking at my own tormach and not sitting though another episode of "prototype this" to see one. the show couldn't keep my attention long enough to even see the tormach, if it was even on that episode.

Quote Originally Posted by dammachines View Post
    So... am I the only one that thinks either that video was slightly doctored or that isn't a stock Tormach mill?

The close-up shot of the rapid moves between 45-48 seconds have to be faster than 65 IPM.

Dave
    it think it was in fast forward.

The Tormach was visible in the background in the pilot episode for a few seconds. It was about 19.5 minutes into the episode, during welding of the stupid wobbly stalks for the badly-placed flatscreen monitors.

I hope we'll be able to see the Tormach in use, and that they don't doctor the video so that the Tormach is truly shown.

Best regards,

Randy

Anyone hoping to see the machine in action will be sorely disappointed. These shows are not aimed at adults. If Tormach thinks that supplying a machine will give them any national attention, they will also be very unhappy.

You didn't see the video then, obviously.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter90 View Post
    Anyone hoping to see the machine in action will be sorely disappointed. These shows are not aimed at adults. If Tormach thinks that supplying a machine will give them any national attention, they will also be very unhappy.

yeah i think he didnt
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

"am i the only one that thought that show was terrible?"

Considering what is actually shown on TV this day and age, yes, but at least they're on the right track. I don't even turn on the TV anymore, all you see are stupid talk shows and reality shows, nothing of real education value.

I felt like they were really talking down to their audience on the show, as if ever american is stupid and come on wax??? Out of all things they could have shown they show that beast cutting wax....

Anyway that's TV for you.

FWIW, I thought last night's show was MUCH more interesting than last week's. They built steel-framed life-size robots that could "box" (i.e. fight) each other using pneumatics. We finally saw some milling action - BUT IT WAS WITH A BRIDGEPORT! Still no love for the Tormach.... Yet....

I couldn't even see the Tormach somewhere in the shop behind the at least two Bridgeports sitting there. I would like to have the Kurt vise he was using though! If we're lucky they will still need a helper with the welding in a future episode.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

"Prototype This" on discovery channel at 10PM EST

You finally get to see the machine run...

So I was on the Discovery Channel website watching the episodes of Ptototype this that I ahev missed. In the Fire Fighting one at 14:10 through 14:29 is a great shot of the machine running and Mach3.

-Adam
    www.adambrunette.com - Converting My Harbor Freight X2 And My Jet Jvm-830 Knee Mill, As well as many other projects.

Prototype This is responsible for my PCNC

I wouldn't be so sure. I recently convinced management that we needed a CNC mill/lathe for rapid prototyping at the office. Shortly after, I saw the PCNC 1100 on Prototype This (the Fire Fighting equipment episode). I got the final $20k PO for it along with all the tooling, accessories, and software approved today. Had it not been for Prototype This, I probably would be buying a used POS off of Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter90 View Post

There is an old saying about being careful what you wish for because you may get it. Now that you have convinced the higher ups to spend the money, they will look to you if the 20K investment doesn't pay off. At least it verifies what sharpshooter said in another post- that 7480.00 price in the banner ad won't get you the machine they show- its going to be 20K + when its up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by ar5000 View Post
    I got the final $20k PO for it along with all the tooling, accessories, and software approved today. Had it not been for Prototype This, I probably would be buying a used POS off of Ebay.
    That the differnce from a manager and a businessman. I pulled over $20K out of my pocket. The machine has paid me back many times over and it is still in great shape. I purchased the machine long before prototype this.....they copied me (wedge)

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanecafe View Post
    At least it verifies what sharpshooter said in another post- that 7480.00 price in the banner ad won't get you the machine they show- its going to be 20K + when its up and running.
    the machines they show above will not cost $20k+. as best i can tell, to get what is in their ad picture above, you are looking at about $11530 plus shipping. now if you are ALSO including a 4th axis and all the tooling you will need, things not shown in the picture above, then sure, you'll be at $20k+.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanecafe View Post
    At least it verifies what sharpshooter said in another post- that 7480.00 price in the banner ad won't get you the machine they show- its going to be 20K + when its up and running.
    I am up and running and cutting chips for around $8,500.00 that includes computer and CAD CAM software. I am meeting with someone in January to do some prototype work that may turn into a 5K job. Since this is going to be steel machining I will finally be forced to get working on my flood coolant! :drowning:
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12