586,701 active members*
2,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hawk Claw Joint

Hey All, it has been a while since I’ve posted here.
    I thought this technique was kind of cool and so I thought I'd share it.

This is a Hawk Claw joint box that I made. It was made famous by Kintaro Yazawa. The trick is to make a through mortise and tenon joint with a long tenon and a short mortise. Then make a cut through the bottom of the mortise and carve a matching design on top of the tenon and so that the design pokes through the cutout. I have the ability on my machine of being able to hold a board vertically to do the tenons.

It is made out of white oak. I used my CNC to do the all of the tenons with a straight bit and a V-bit, and most of the mortising with a straight bit. I had to scroll-saw out the bottom of the mortises for the ‘point’ of the claw. It took a bit of filing and test fitting to get each joint to seat properly.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Claw1.jpg   Claw2.jpg   Claw4.jpg   Claw5.jpg  

ClawB3.jpg   ClawM3.jpg  

Very classy, Steve. Almost looks like puzzle pieces going together. I don't think I will be trying that anytime soon with hand tools.

On the other hand, that CNC router itch is starting to get to me. It got worse when I read your blog of your vee-bearing machine over at the Lumberjocks site - congratulations on a beautiful and well-engineered machine. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to stack two skate bearings on the same bolt to fake a vee bearing.

Angie