586,096 active members*
3,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > ER-16 Collet stuck in ER-16 Tool Holder

ER-16 Collet stuck in ER-16 Tool Holder

Ok, So I'm hoping to remedy this before my boss comes back and gives me a bunch of crap about how much everything costs. I think I put a slightly too large drill bit in an ER-16 Collet. I believe the Largest you can do is .393 in ER-16 and I put in a Bit just under that, .391 I believe. Regardless of this I did some machining with this bit and I went to take it out. I unscrewed the cap and tried to pull the bit out but it wouldn't budge. I continued to unscrew to the point that the Cap and the collet disconnected. (Not Supposed to happen) Now I have the Cap off the Tool holder but the collet is still stuck in the tool holder with the Drill Bit. Is there any trick to remedy this? Old Fashioned Elbow Grease makes me think I'll damage the Collet or the Threads on the Tool Holder.

Please have a solution!!!

I got it out! UNfortunately I had to ruin the drill bit but it was only HSS. I screwed the cap back on and clamped down on the Drill Bit in a Vise. One good swing with a dead blow and it slid right off.

If you screwed the collet nut back on over the collet with a large tool installed, you have probably ruined the nut. It will not extract properly henceforth.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)