586,082 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > buying a used Cincinnati Avenger 200t

Question buying a used Cincinnati Avenger 200t

I am looking at a used Avenger 200t, with an Acramatic 850SX control anything to look for in particular? I read somewhere, can't find the thread again, that the control panel is a major concern. As in if anything goes wrong Siemens does not support it and will only sell you a complete new operators console for many thousands of dollars. Is this a real concern? it seems there are a lot of these machine/controls out there and they can't fail all that often. Even if a switch or button went bad there has to be some way of repairing or working around it, is there not. I'm just looking for comments, ideas on what to look for or at, and any other thing to help decide if this is a good machine or not.

Siemens -the truth

Ok,heres my take on the cinciniatti/siemens deal.I have a Talon lathe with a 850sx control.I bought it cheap with a bad spindle drive,and then found out why it was so cheap.Every thing from siemens is 5000.00 plus.We replaced the Siemens drive with a Hitachi,got the machine running-then a board in the Acramatic went-6k-no way.I dont know who made the Avenger,but the Talon is made by Leadwell,the control by Siemens-not exactly american made.The service guys at Cinn/Mag are limited by the brass about giving out info.Seimens wont tell you anything except send "us money-lots".The Acramatic control is powerful but goofy.Spare parts are non existent and nobody can really fix the siemens stuff,they say they can-but you will get burned.My understanding is there is only one or two test sets in the US for the siemens stuff.The 850sx uses a panasonic vga monitor,which is worth about 85.00,not from Seimens -1400.00 and on and on.I made a huge mistake buying the cinnci.Its sad,but true-go for a Jap machine with a Fanuc or Mistubushi control.The electronics are reliable,the iron is solid-a Hardinge would be a good choice for a USA made machine.Shame on you Cincinnatti.......

if you are in the market for used cincinnati equipment my company has been looking for someone to off load several cincinatti machines includeing an advenger except it has the A2100 control with the Kolmorgen drives. the other guy is right you can swap the spindle drives for most any analog type drive and motor however the big expenses is with the cpu side of the machine if you are not familar with cincinnati ask around about real time time outs and workstation board faliar alarms. I am currently still getting everything repaired by siemens however they are towards the end of the life of these products and soon will leave us hanging. If when this happens they release their proprietary information on boards then repair shops will have better luck but till then hold on when you call for a quote or ask about lead time. While the market is low i would be watching for a small puma lathe by doosan such as an 240 these are selling realy cheap right now.

Unhappy

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep looking, but here in Allentown there's not a lot to choose from.