586,643 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > Torchmate CAD node edit precision?

Torchmate CAD node edit precision?

I have CAD version 5. When editing an object (X,Y position, width, height, etc.) the measurement boxes at the top allow 3 digits of precision to the right of the decimal point. For example, I can specify a width of 10.123". However, if I double click an object to go into node editing mode, when I click on a node to change its position by typing in a new location, the boxes now only show 2 digits of precision, i.e. 10.12.

Is there a way to increase the node edit precision to 3 digits?

This has become a problem for me; I am cutting some precise shapes in 18 guage with finecut consumables and I need to make adjustments on the order of .005-.010. When editing the position of a node, I can type a number such as 10.123 into the box, and it will change to 10.12. It appears that the nodes actually do have greater precision, but the box does not show this. I know this because if I edit a node, and the box says it is at 10.12, and I go into the box and type 10.12 and hit enter, the node will move slightly. However, the box still says 10.12. (Plus it would only make sense that the nodes have to be able to be placed with at least as much precision as the coordinates at the object level...)

Based on that, I know I can set the nodes precisely, but the inability of the software to display 3 digit precision is a problem because I am trying to move a node relative to its current position. For example, if there is a particular node which I want to move up by .010, and the software *says* it is at 12.00, if I type in 12.010, the node will be at 12.010, but the before position could actually have been anywhere from 12.000 to 12.009. So, worst case scenario, I think I'm moving the node up by .01, but I might have actually only moved it by .001. (12.009 to 12.010)

Does anyone have any suggestions either for how to easily determine the precise "before" positions of a particular node or ideas about how to move them a particular amount without needing to know their current location? (For example, is there a relative move? A way to change the resolution of how much a node moves when you bump it with the keyboard arrows, etc?)

The best idea I've been able to come up with so far is to click on a node and try all 10 possibilities for the thousandths position until I find the one which doesn't appear to move the node on screen, then assume that is the correct current location and go from there.

I'm hoping there is some setting or option I am overlooking which will overcome this problem. There's a precision option in the settings ("dimension setup"), but it only appears to affect objects, not nodes.

Many thanks in advance for any help or ideas you may have!

Just a quick reply to myself in case someone with the same problem stumbles across this thread in the archives... I posted this same question on the Torchmate Yahoo group and received a reply which did the trick.

I did discover that the CAD software appears to use .001 precision internally, but that there doesn't seem to be a way to display more than .01 precision when editing nodes directly. The workaround presented to me was to go into the settings and set the grid size to .001. Then, when editing a node, you can zoom in and bump the node with the keyboard arrow keys to move it. Each keypress will move the node .001. I discovered that I didn't have to turn on "snap to grid" either, probably because the internal precision is .001 already, so the node is not going to be able to move any less than that amount. However, if you use this same technique at a different grid size, say .01 or so, you will need to turn on "snap to grid" in that case.

I hope that helps someone!