586,106 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Upgrading an EXCELLO CNC mill

Question Upgrading an EXCELLO CNC mill

undefined
    I would like to upgrade the controlls for an EXCELLO mill with an Anilam 1100 controller that is having serious problems with the electronics in the controller. The mechanical condition is quite good. Does anyone have experience or guidance for the use of the existing linear encoders to provide feedback for the servos? I would like to replace the 386 computer and the servo drivers with gecko drivers (G340's or 320's) and use Mach2 Mill to control the machine. Does anyone have info on the linear encoders?

I have good electronics and computer skills but I am a CNC newbe and would appreciate any help possible.

If you mean linear scales, they are connected exactly the same as a rotary incremental encoder, the only thing you have to watch for is to make sure the output is differential square wave, some, especially some heidenhain types are sinewave output, some are also available that have a fiducial marker at one end that serves as a homing pulse.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Talking

Thank you Al , your participation is appreciated.

Smile Project Completed

Project Update

I volunteered to convert this 1985 EX-CELL-O CNC Machine to run RS-274 G-code. The mill is in excellent mechanical condition. The electronics are 20 years old and un-reliable. I’m using a new Shuttle XPC 2.4GHZ P4 computer with XP Professional, Mach2Mill for control software, Sound logic PC-2 controller, 70VDC 35AMP power supply and Gecko 310 servo drivers. Crydom solid state relays control spindle direction and coolant.

The Shuttle XPC, Sound Logic controller, 35A - 70VDC power supply, Solid State Relays, 24VDC power supply (spindle controls), US Digital 500 CPR encoders mounted on the motors with 2:1 belt drive reduction and Gecko 310's result in 85 IPM rapids and 60 IPM cutting speeds with .00005 resolution. This machine conversion is working great!

The linear scales used differential outputs that weren't compatible with the Sound Logic controller board. Us Digital 500 cpr encoders were installed on the servo motors. These were easy to install and use. I could have used 250 cpr encoders as the motors go thru a 2:1 reduction belt drive to achieve faster rapid feeds. This is in a school setting and slower rapids are prefered.

Testing indicated excellent positional accuracy, this project was easy as the servo's, ballscrews, and belt drives were installed with the Anilam Crusader CNC package in 1985.

More Pictures in my gallery: http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=9023

MikeAber
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EX-Cell-O1_1_1_1.JPG   Ready_To_Rumble.jpg   US_Digital_Encoder[1].jpg   New_CNC_Controls.jpg  

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The concept was to change the proprietary language control system to use RS-274 G-code and replace the aging control system.

This conversion has been in use for a little over a year; in our shop that equates to about 25-30 hours of runtime.

I replaced all the electronics including the Anilam controller. The Gecko's are cheap compared to replacement driver cards for the Anilam system that was installed. The servomotors were fitted with US Digital encoders as the linear scales weren't compatible with the new logic controller. The Gecko's have less power than the original drivers as the driver voltage is 20 VDC lower; however, there is enough power to run the mill fine. Gecko's have an 80 VDC rating but have over current protection the original drivers did not have.

The original Anilam control system used a 386 computer - this was the Achilles heel for the system - we paid $1300 to get a replacement card for it a couple of years back and a servo driver card cost us $600 every time someone pushed the machine to it's limit.

The complete retrofit for the machine cost less than $2000 not including my labor. We haven't experienced any hardware or component failures. There have been a few configuration values and software issues that have been resolved. The P4 computer has plenty of power to run the machine and the computer is upgradeable - the 386 was not. Artsoft Mach 3/4 continues to evolve with more features and capability at a price anyone can afford.

The ability to run standard RS-274 G-code from any source is the single, most desirable feature. The ability to get the code to and from the machine over wireless, Ethernet, floppy, CD, or USB memory stick made the conversion a no-brainer for us.

MikeAber
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nice Job!
    I converted the two I have to VFD Spindle, Controlled by the CNC.
    I replaced the vari-speed pulleys with timing belt, the existing 2 speed gear box stayed, I run the motor up to 120hz so I get double the original motor speed to get the top end spindle of 3600rpm.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Nice Job!
    I converted the two I have to VFD Spindle, Controlled by the CNC.
    I replaced the vari-speed pulleys with timing belt, the existing 2 speed gear box stayed, I run the motor up to 120hz so I get double the original motor speed to get the top end spindle of 3600rpm.
    Al.

Thanks Al,

The VFD project is part of phase II, which will include adding an MPG encoder, maybe next summer.

MikeAber

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1167296181

What's that aluminum cyllinder looking thing on the right side of the head angle adjustment?

Mike, does the handle on your knee crank spin or is it pressed firmly into the crank?